TechSpot

Black screen with cursor only

By Jaredb333
Apr 20, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I have recently updated to windows 7 professional and cleared my old OS. (3 days ago) I have been running the system and it has been just fine until this evening.
    This evening I suddenly got a black screen with just the mouse showing.
    I have an Asus P5Q Pro Motherboard and the Graphics card is a GEforce GTX260
    When I reboot the system it gets to the windows starting screen
    Then I get a cursor that blinks a few times and then it suimply stays black and nothing happens.

I already tried using the operating system restore disk and reinstalling, but the outcome was the same.
    Also booting in safe mode works and I can do anything needed in there, but once going back to regular boot, it does not go.
    Thoughts?

2. Raptor1

Raptor1 TS Rookie

Not really a solution but something you can try:

When you've got the black screen with the cursor, do Ctrl + Alt + Del and in the task manager choose File - New task run.
    then in the box typ explorer.exe

That should get your windows taskbar back. At least then you can do something.

3. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,934   +167

A black screen with the mouse pointer active usually means the the video driver is corrupt. What version of Windows was installed before Windows 7? Is Windows 7 32 or 64 bits?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.