TechSpot

Black screen with cursor

By panther1964
Feb 12, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I am getting a black screen with cursor when booting. I have tried booting in safe mode with no success. I have moved the hard disk as the prior in the boot sequence. I suspect I may have a virus. Diagnostics shows everything as pass. I have limited knowledge should I just seek repair from an expert? Any help would be appreciated.

System:
    Dell Inspirion E1505 laptop
    Windows XP

2. panther1964

panther1964 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I should note that I shut down my computer in the same fashion as the previous post. I have not added any new software or hardware. Also my computer did not come with any cd's to restore or boot with.

3. dipo003

dipo003 TS Rookie Posts: 50

Well,
    If I may ask, did u just delete something on your box? Did you ever use an antivirus? usually this can be caused by file deletion/corruption or bad registry entry. during the black screen, try pressing ctrl - alt - del. so as to verify if the task manager comes up

4. panther1964

panther1964 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hi,

Thanks for your post!

When I press ctr -alt- delete it reboots the computer, goes to the "Dell" screen then back to the black screen with a cursor in the upper left hand corner.

Nothing has been deleted that I am aware of. However, this is a family computer and I guess that is a possibility. Kapersky is the anti-virus that is installed on this computer. I have not been very impressed with it.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.