TechSpot

Blackberry 10 is destined to fail, says insider

By Rick
Dec 22, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Despite an almost tragic string of blunders and bad news, Research In Motion may be in trouble deeper still. BGR reports that one of its "most trusted sources" inside RIM…

Read the whole story

2. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,149   +1,424

Time for RIM to be renamed into RIP, to make for adequate name for the new Blackberry model, then it will sell like hot cakes, for under $1 to the bunch of sentimentalists.

3. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,270   +91

I would then still think of $1 as a rip (no pun intended) off.

4. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,677

I forgot who wrote it but it was in response to RIM refusing all companies wanting to buy them up.

RIM ruined any chance of survival ,it's unfortunate because their death will be a huge blow to my cities economy, but what can you do?

5. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,270   +91

After reading the the actual BGR report (and after reading that RIM, through AllthingsD, denied such allegations), I finally came to something the source said:

"There's no room for a fourth ecosystem,"

Wait a minute. If RIM is indeed successful in revamping both their operating system, and developing ecosystem, they would be, in effect, <i>replacing</i> their existing platform with the new one, not creating an entirely separate (competing) one, correct? So why is this source saying (or at best, connote) that even if RIM does replace their existing platform with BB10/PlayBook 2.0 OS, there would be no room for a fourth ecosystem?

This indirectly implies that, currently, RIM's platform was never a third, but a fourth. So the question is, if to this supposed "high-level RIM employee" BB was was never a third, but a fourth, then who is, in actuality, the third? webOS? Windows Phone 7? :O

6. Ranger1st

Ranger1st TS Evangelist Posts: 334   +101

RIMs CEO is arrogant beyond comprehension.. they sat on their laurels and did the min. possible for each release, the products were buggy and in some cases ( like my one and only curve) simply bricked in a few months, the RMA policies were so bad that no one but a corp. customer with access to replacements on hand had a chance of continued use.
    I amazed this did not come sooner, they pay horribly, the actual people doing the design work for both HW & SW and treated poorly and most stay just long enough to fulfil the contracts and are gone. Did I mention they pay horribly..

7. there are rumors swirling that RIM will be bought out by,........... somebody. dont want to say who. but they make a very popular search engine

8. good riddance, their phones are so friggin' ugly !

9. The average age of BB users are totally getting older.

Small font text, small screen, and these old people
    are now using magnifying glasses to browse on BB.

The BB design MUST include Magnifying Glasses to
    be Service Friendly ! for their aging consumers.

10. mosu

mosu TS Guru Posts: 422   +48

sorry to put it this way, but do you really believe you'll be forever young? so you can kiss our aging arses.

11. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Evangelist Posts: 810   +102

People thought Apple was destined to fail also. They managed to make a huge comeback into the industry. Only time will tell.

12. I almost purchased a 2011 BB-PB but decided to wait on the strength of what's in store before spring this year, 2012. Now I see more negative comments to strike fear and uncertainty into my tender heart.

I tried last year's PB on specials everywhere in Canada, and found it extremely positive. I am hoping for an improved OS promised us plus some added email and calender features. I am no techie but I did see users accessing emails - or is this only possibe in wi-fi zones? Is tethering or pairing necessary?

I like to hear from some of your savvy guys.

Sam, the Tiger