TechSpot

BlackBerry shipped 2.7 million BB10 devices last quarter, stock plunges

By Jos
Jun 28, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. June 1st marked the end of the first full quarter since BlackBerry 10 and the Z10 became available. Naturally, both analysts and investors were anticipating to see some signs of a turnaround, but instead it was a surprise quarterly loss...

Read more
  2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,069   +704

I'd call Blackberry the 3rd wheel of the smartphone market, but that title belongs to Microsoft I believe. Blackberry just seems so far behind in the race they're trying to not get lapped. From what I've read that new BB isn't half bad either.
  3. Embarassing that you can make 3 billion and no profit... time to give up
  4. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Booster Posts: 371   +69

They needed a killer feature that made it worth buying the phone. Unfortunately, they had none. You could pretty much get everything on HTC or Samsung and even iphone.
  5. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,950   +900

Eh, that stinks. I feel like BB had its days and those days have past. They should have developed BB10 at least 2-3 years ago.
  6. Timonius

Timonius TS Booster Posts: 582   +32

Maybe they can develop special facial recognition of a 'raspberry' to do some crazy thing. Maybe then more people will buy one. ;p
  7. coppersloane

coppersloane TS Enthusiast Posts: 108   +33

We live in a society where if a company doesn't make enough money, people laugh at them. And if enough people laugh at them, people who would have otherwise bought their product, will not, for fear that they'll be laughed at or shunned.

Right now my phone is pinging me updates on G+ where people are 'lol'ing and lmao'ing at BlackBerry and Windows Phone for not being as popular as iPhone and Android. What kind of *****, unless he or she is a shareholder, cares about how much a company makes? Unless it's out of a desire to see them stick around long enough to make more products?

It's the same with movies. X and Y movie was a financial failure, so lol and lmao at it, and never buy a ticket, even if the reviews are positive.

People are growing dumber by the day. It's a shame these devices and their companies suffer because they don't have minds of their own. They're selling products to a Hive Mind mentality, where if the core doesn't agree, the drones certainly will not.

How do you cater to such an inane populous?
    mosu and m4a4 like this.
  8. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,680   +880

Oh stop, a company losing money, or teetering on the brink of bankruptcy always undermines consumer confidence.

First, people are bandwagon prone, and are always fans of the person or team that's winning.

Brand recognition is, and always has been, at the heart, a popularity contest.

And second, the question of, "where the heck am I going to get parts for this turd", if the company goes bust, is always in the back of people's minds,.

(This despite most modern electronics are throwaways anyway, since it would cost way more in bench time to repair, than to buy another one).

Then too, when a quarterly profit report shows a loss, hysteria sets in, and the sharks, rogues, knaves, and parasites on Wall Street, are always ready to engage in a feeding frenzy.
  9. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,034   +738

I don't suppose they're doing a bad job but people believe the bad before they believe the good.
  10. Modeazy

Modeazy TS Rookie Posts: 27

Very true coppersloane, like I got laughed at for buying a Nexus 7 instead of an Ipad mini, its really weird. Now I must allow crowd mentality to dictate my personal tastes or risk falling out with 'Them'.

I'm laughing at them.
    coppersloane likes this.
  11. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,265   +41

CC I'll give you this one because your puns are great. With that said I feel sorry for BB. They're trying to occupy a market that they once had a strong hold of. This news isn't terrible tbh. You can't expect Samsung numbers or even apple numbers from BB. They're still worth a couple Billion. I think this is just a quick-pro quote on their upswing. They have always been a niche market. I hope they find those customers once again!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.