BlackBerry Torch 9810 hands-on impressions

Julio Franco

Staff member
Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure why, but I'm excited about this thing. I don't even like Blackberries, nor do I know anyone who owns one. Could be because I can't stand Android. Could be because my options for Windows Phone are limited or it could be because I actually saw someone physically using an original Blackberry Torch and it looked pretty badass. I don't know. I think I'd hit it.

However the speedy processor is still not enough to prevent long lags when certain background tasks, such as downloading and installing a new application, are running.

It is exactly the same on Android so what is the big deal ?

Archean said:
However the speedy processor is still not enough to prevent long lags when certain background tasks, such as downloading and installing a new application, are running.

It is exactly the same on Android so what is the big deal ?

Doesn't happen on the iPhone! :p

I have had a 9800 since November and I wish this one came out then.
Original is horribly underpowered compared to android phones these days, but the h/w bump-ups on this one will make it more able to multi-task, which I would say is it's biggest issue, along with random touchscreen freeze-ups if you have it drawn open on screen and don't touch it for a couple seconds then start typing quickly it pauses for a couple seconds. Those two issues with it make me upset.
VERY good phone in terms of the actual cellular service and audio quality (my provider just activated HSPA+ a couple months ago and it's been just great. Was nice to see the little g turn into a big G on my home screen :D

I want the red one though, the 9810 when it was first announced (before it had a model # attached to it) was coming in silver and red, damnitt. :F

Archean said:
I am sure it does but I just don't like iPhone. :p

Nope, I can be listening to some music from an internet radio station using TuneIn at the same time I can browse the web at a decent speed and install an app from the app store and it certainly doesn't lag or freeze for a couple of seconds, near the end of the app install it may stutter for a micro second but thats about it! :) iPhone3GS

burty117 said:
Archean said:
I am sure it does but I just don't like iPhone. :p

Nope, I can be listening to some music from an internet radio station using TuneIn at the same time I can browse the web at a decent speed and install an app from the app store and it certainly doesn't lag or freeze for a couple of seconds, near the end of the app install it may stutter for a micro second but thats about it! :) iPhone3GS
Yay for you :p

I just got the 9810 two days ago and they haven't fixed the "freezing up" it still is freezing up pretty bad like the 9800 did. Also, I keep losing network service for no reason when I know that I have service...hopefully just some bugs but really annoying...

Back