BlackBerry's use of encryption led to its demise, former NSA lawyer claims

Shawn Knight

Staff member

nsa blackberry apple google smartphone encryption

BlackBerry’s well-documented fall from grace can be directly attributed to one of its core features according to former National Security Agency general counsel Stewart Baker.

That feature, of course, is encryption.

During a speaking engagement at Web Summit in Dublin, Ireland, Baker pointed out that BlackBerry’s decision to encrypt user data was a bad business model because it limited its business in countries that demand oversight of communication data. In other words, they restricted their own ability to sell products.

nsa blackberry apple google smartphone encryption

BlackBerry pioneered the use of encryption years before others were even discussing it. Now, companies like Apple and Google are picking a “big public fight” with the NSA – something that has not ended well for BlackBerry, Baker warned.

While I don’t doubt the fact that BlackBerry probably lost out on some markets due to its use of encryption, to say that it was the main reason for their demise is a bit of a stretch.

Instead, I think most would agree that BlackBerry simply didn’t keep up with the rapidly changing mobile market. Consumers wanted innovative smartphones and a vast ecosystem of apps, something that Apple, Google and others have been able to deliver over the years.

BlackBerry still has clients in healthcare and government sectors but the company is nowhere near as popular or valuable as it once was. A resurgence at this point would likely take a minor miracle or at the very least, a tremendous amount of innovation.

Permalink to story.

Of course it's a stretch. I'd actually call it a pile of steaming horse crap. A former NSA official is trying to paint encryption as a bad idea. All three-letter agencies are freaking out since Apple promised to encrypt all their devices. So now encryption is bad.

Authors knows more than The NSA offical.

He is only butt hurt cause blackberry didn't bend over like everyone else did.

Blackberry's reasons for falling from the top are well known and the author said it.

It has nothing to do with encryption.

Of course it's a stretch. I'd actually call it a pile of steaming horse crap. A former NSA official is trying to paint encryption as a bad idea. All three-letter agencies are freaking out since Apple promised to encrypt all their devices. So now encryption is bad.

Obsolete-when-shipped hardware and paying almost no attention to the consumer market was Blackberry's downfall. The sad part is that the iPhone arrived about the same time that every teenager was sporting a Curve. BB could have been the #2 if they hadn't been a dinosaur organization with a culture that punished innovation. The sheer amount of Newspeak coming out of the security state is revolting.

So the fox is now blaming the hens for locking the gates?

I don't have a smart phone, or much of a desire to have one, but even I know this guy wants me to buy a steaming pile of bs.

The point is not entirely far off. BlackBerry only focused on security, not innovation with new features and capabilities.

Isn't that interesting. The NSA suddenly wants to talk about data encryption and why it's just so terrible at the same time Apple, Google and end-users are pushing for more encryption and privacy. What a coincidence!

It seem Stewart Baker has some grudge against Blackberry.. LoL

It's amusing how the lawyer for the provincial criminal organisation called the NSA had such confidence in the crooked swine. He fails to take into account the worldwide rejection of US criminality which had solidified over the last couple of years.
The dumbest empire in history is already over.

Back