BlackBerry's use of encryption led to its demise, former NSA lawyer claims

By Shawn Knight
Nov 5, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. BlackBerry's well-documented fall from grace can be directly attributed to one of its core features according to former National Security Agency general counsel Stewart Baker.

Read more
  2. Of course it's a stretch. I'd actually call it a pile of steaming horse crap. A former NSA official is trying to paint encryption as a bad idea. All three-letter agencies are freaking out since Apple promised to encrypt all their devices. So now encryption is bad.
    psycros likes this.
  3. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Evangelist Posts: 1,079   +331

Authors knows more than The NSA offical.

He is only butt hurt cause blackberry didn't bend over like everyone else did.

Blackberry's reasons for falling from the top are well known and the author said it.

It has nothing to do with encryption.
    psycros likes this.
  4. psycros

psycros TS Evangelist Posts: 1,295   +663

Obsolete-when-shipped hardware and paying almost no attention to the consumer market was Blackberry's downfall. The sad part is that the iPhone arrived about the same time that every teenager was sporting a Curve. BB could have been the #2 if they hadn't been a dinosaur organization with a culture that punished innovation. The sheer amount of Newspeak coming out of the security state is revolting.
  5. risc32

risc32 TS Booster Posts: 186   +75

So the fox is now blaming the hens for locking the gates?

I don't have a smart phone, or much of a desire to have one, but even I know this guy wants me to buy a steaming pile of bs.
  6. risc32

risc32 TS Booster Posts: 186   +75

I should have typed that from a public computer....
    kidding... a bit.
  7. The point is not entirely far off. BlackBerry only focused on security, not innovation with new features and capabilities.
  8. JohnCB

JohnCB TS Booster Posts: 118   +62

Isn't that interesting. The NSA suddenly wants to talk about data encryption and why it's just so terrible at the same time Apple, Google and end-users are pushing for more encryption and privacy. What a coincidence!
  9. It seem Stewart Baker has some grudge against Blackberry.. LoL
  10. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,341   +1,938

The NSA has lawyers? Why do they need them? I thought they did as they pleased.
  11. Nilbud

Nilbud TS Enthusiast Posts: 32   +10

It's amusing how the lawyer for the provincial criminal organisation called the NSA had such confidence in the crooked swine. He fails to take into account the worldwide rejection of US criminality which had solidified over the last couple of years.
    The dumbest empire in history is already over.