BladeRunner Cometh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

I've often believed that computers will eventually evolve into forms of life, since I've also often believed that the secrets of DNA will eventually unveil a system that is totally perfect and knowledgeable - the ultimate programming language, to which the modern languages of today such as Java and C# are but a pale shadow.

What is more, when you look at binary, it stores information in strings of 0s and 1s. 010101010001010001010101010101 on and on through terabytes of data. And interestingly, DNA stores information in strings of letters A, T, C and G. And from that simple, basic comparison, comes a whole universe of similarities between computing and genetics.

In the future, will tiny DNA programs store information in quads, gigaquads, teraquads, and so forth? Will we be growing computers in labs?

University of Southern California computer scientist Leonard Adleman believes its a scientific certainty.

"They call their creations "machines" and "devices." Really, they are nothing more than test tubes of DNA-laden water, and yet this liquid has been coaxed to crunch algorithms and spit out data.

The problems solved by DNA computers to date are rudimentary. Children could come up with the answers more quickly with a pencil and paper.

But the researchers hope to someday inject tiny computers into humans to zap viruses, fix good cells gone bad and otherwise keep us healthy."

i'm sure when you are faced with

your own mortality, then this type of thing may seem appealing, but, without a solution to effectively populate this planet, earth's future remains unresolved, and decaying.........we should go, .....pass the baton,..........who wants any additional years in a wheel chair.........but, what a pleasant fantasy,........longevity and solutions for earth's populous........a very pleasant fiction indeed

I think its interesting that someone could write a computer program in DNA that kills cancer cells - however I think another strong idea coming from the article was that of an "organic computer" in a sense, although that sort of thing might be some time off. On the other hand, it might be sooner than we think.

very facinating now

but, you wait....... the bladerunner, enslaving it's human counterpart.....a matrix......or the borg, a member of a collective, hive mind........or, of an empire :darth: oh! i see now, phanty wants to make us all his beotch :D

You already are. (see how I now decode his bewildered nonsense....!)

I'd personally rather computer technology didn't go to close to Biology (as I think it some day shall) - I'm aware of the fact that "hardware and electronics" orientated computer technicians have seen their time become obsolete in my lifetime - maybe some day we shall all need to become geneticists to install Windows 5000, you never know!

Hehe

Who knows? Maybe this will be the edge you'll need ............oops, i forgot you were already bionic........anyways, i think we live, at a facinating time, just too bad, we won't get to see, what the future brings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back