Blank display on Dell 1737 laptop, Error 2000-0321

Hi everyone In need of help. Started up my Dell 1737 laptop and I am greeted by a blank screen, though the machine goes through the motions of starting up. I do not see any faint ghosting. When connected to an external monitor all works fine, and I have tried changing the inverter, but no luck. Ran a diagnostic check, and receive the following:

Error Code 0321
Msg: Error Code 2000-0321
Msg: LCD EDID - Unable to access EDID EEPROM

I also tried holding the "D" key and powering up. The LCD flashed a series of solid color screens (Red, Green, Blue, White, Black). I assume that this means that the backlight is good. Does it also mean that the cable is good?

Not sure what else to check. I am guessing that it is eiter the LCD screen (controller board) itself or the cable. Any advice? I am comfortable replacing parts.

Prior to this everything was working fine. The display had even brightness and color.

Would anyone be able to restore my sanity, and offer some words of wisdom/guidance? Would be much appreciated. Many Thanks.

Replace the LCD panel including the backlight. External monitor okay, motherboard is okay... Slight chance of a damaged LCD cable to motherboard

Thanks.

I took apart the computer. I disconnected the cables on the motherboard and reseated them. I partially rermoved the LCD panel and gently push on the LCD panel connector. I did not remove it. During this I removed the cable from the hinge cable guide and motherboard cable guides. Put everything back together except for the LCD bezel. Power up and all was good. Powered down and put the bezel on. Power up and no screen. Took the bezel off again and adjusted the routing on the hindge and once again closed up the laptop. It worked fine until I powered down and closed the laptop.

At this point, I feel that I have a bad cable. I will try replacing it and see what happens.

Back