TechSpot

Blank pages in Internet Explorer

By Hodsocks
Aug 29, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have been asked to look at a problem with the above for a friend of mine. The first pc running Windows Xp pro and IE6 would open the home page but as soon as you went to another page it would open up a blank page and IE would pretty much freeze. I ran AVG. Spybot and Adaware 2007 and deleted anything found, I also tried the fix involving running regsvr32 to fix files.I even tried a repair install of windows.
    A couple of weeks later another pc went down with the same problem, this time running IE7, then another couple of weeks later a third machine went down with similar problems.
    The pc's are networked through a server running MS server 2003.
    Everything I have tried seems unable to resolve the problem, the fact it seems to be speading almost suggests virus activity but virus scans with both AVG and NAV found nothing.
    I installed Firefox which seemed to be a workaround but I think that this may now be suffering the same fate, but don't quote me on that.
    Has anyone any suggestions as to what may be going on here?
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Hiya mate.

I agree it does sound malware related.

Go and read this thread HERE and post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread.

Regards Howard :)
  3. Hodsocks

Hodsocks TS Guru Topic Starter Posts: 528

4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

There`s nothing particularly nasty there. However, you have not renamed HijackThis_v2.exe to Analyze.exe.

It also appears appears you`re running two antivirus programmes, AVG And Symantec/Norton. This is not recommended, will seriously slow your system and can cause potentially serious conflicts.

I suggest you uninstall one antivirus programme asap.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = chasesbs:8080<Fix this if you don`t know it`s absolutely legit.

4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPUsageTracking] "C:\Program Files\HP\HP UT\bin\hppusg.exe" "C:\Program Files\HP\HP UT\"

O16 - DPF: {1D4DB7D2-6EC9-47A3-BD87-1E41684E07BB} - http://ak.exe.imgfarm.com/images/nocache/funwebproducts/ei/MyFunCardsFWBInitialS etup1.0.0.15-3.cab

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT and reboot your system.

Post a fresh HJT log and let me know if you`re still having problems.

Regards Howard :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.