Blank Screen After Windows Splash

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I'm running Windows XP with the most recent updates. I was playing Dungeon Keeper II (which I don't think was made for XP?) using an iso mounted with Magic Disk. The game crashed and I lost the task bar and all of my icons. I was just left with my background. I tried ctrl+alt+delete, but nothing happened so I manually powered down the laptop.

Now, when I start windows, it goes through the splash screen but then the screen goes blank. It boots up in safe mode and I've tried a few things:
1) I ran chkdsk and it said it found an error. So I ran it again with the /f and it said it couldn't run because the volume was already in use but I scheduled it to run on reboot. I rebooted and it said it fixed the error but nothing happened.
2) I've used System Restore twice (one for yesterday and one for 2 weeks ago) but it still doesn't boot properly.
3) I've tried disabling the automatic restart to hopefully get an error message, but I never got one so I just shut it down.
4) I've tried booting it into the "Last known good configuration."

Please help!

Thanks

For those who are searching...

Last night after my post I ran chkdsk /r to hopefully repair the problem. Afterward, the computer wouldn't boot up, even in safe mode, so I took it to a friend who runs a computer repair place. He fixed it! He said the problem was in the registry. So... kimsland's suggestion is spot on.

Thanks kimsland!

Thanks for the update

You might want to confirm your Antivirus is up to date, and also run a quick (updated) Malwarebytes scan (removing any found Malwares at the end of the scan)

Anyway, all good :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back