TechSpot

Blank Screen After Windows Splash

By Juddernaught
Oct 28, 2009
  1. So, I'm running Windows XP with the most recent updates. I was playing Dungeon Keeper II (which I don't think was made for XP?) using an iso mounted with Magic Disk. The game crashed and I lost the task bar and all of my icons. I was just left with my background. I tried ctrl+alt+delete, but nothing happened so I manually powered down the laptop.

Now, when I start windows, it goes through the splash screen but then the screen goes blank. It boots up in safe mode and I've tried a few things:
    1) I ran chkdsk and it said it found an error. So I ran it again with the /f and it said it couldn't run because the volume was already in use but I scheduled it to run on reboot. I rebooted and it said it fixed the error but nothing happened.
    2) I've used System Restore twice (one for yesterday and one for 2 weeks ago) but it still doesn't boot properly.
    3) I've tried disabling the automatic restart to hopefully get an error message, but I never got one so I just shut it down.
    4) I've tried booting it into the "Last known good configuration."

Please help!

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

3. Juddernaught

Juddernaught TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks

For those who are searching...

Last night after my post I ran chkdsk /r to hopefully repair the problem. Afterward, the computer wouldn't boot up, even in safe mode, so I took it to a friend who runs a computer repair place. He fixed it! He said the problem was in the registry. So... kimsland's suggestion is spot on.

Thanks kimsland!

4. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Thanks for the update

You might want to confirm your Antivirus is up to date, and also run a quick (updated) Malwarebytes scan (removing any found Malwares at the end of the scan)

Anyway, all good :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.