TechSpot

Blank screen but brand new PC

By msdontknow
Oct 31, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. hey guys, first off my name says it all - i really don't know a lot about pc's.
    right here goes - bought a new pc from dinopc and it arrived 2 days ago.
    turned it on and it worked fine. installed my game (world of warcraft) and downloaded all the extras, turned it off (properly). following day i played the game with no problems at all and again turned it off properly. however the following day i turned it on and all i got was a blank monitor screen.
    everything is exactly the same as the night before and not been touched or fiddled with.
    the tower is running and the fan is working but i have no idea what it could be coz its all new. also it cant be the monitor as i tried it on the working one im on now.
    any suggestions would be very appreciated.
    my specs are -

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 640 AM3

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Motherboard: Asus M4N68T-M

Memory: 4GB DDR3 1333mhz (2x 2GB)

Hard Drives: 500GB S-ATAII 3.0Gb/s

Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA

Graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB

Sound card: Onboard 7.1 Audio

Case: Piano Black ATX

PSU: 500W PSU
    thank you very much

2. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 3,556

3. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,684   +60

I agree however you can try unplugging the power for 10 minutes from the back then holding in the on button to drain out the power for a minute, there may be something up with your set resolution. If this fixes it, make sure you download your windows updates and video card updates before playing wow again. Windows 7 may update your video card for you so I would update that first.

if you happened to bump it and opening the case will not off set the warranty then I would peak inside and see if anything is disconnected

4. Kaijiru

Kaijiru TS Rookie

I agree that most likely it's a resolution issue. I had the same problem in which I set the resolution too high and my screen was black and impossible to change, so I hooked it up to my t.v which supported the resolution in which case I set it back. If you have some monitors laying around or a proper t.v hookup I would give it a shot

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.