TechSpot

Blank screen with a cursor

By sideburns686
Mar 20, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am a pastor and one of the youth that are in our ministry gave their labtop to me to try and fix. I've tried t fix it but....

It is an Acer 5720z. It turns on but goes to a blank screen with a cursor on the top left of the screen. F2 will bring me to another screen with some start-up options and info about the cpu. I tried booting it with the other two options but it does the same thing (black blank screen with cursor on left) or comes with a message that says media error (with black blank screen and message on upper left hand corner) and doesn't move. I have no clue how to fix it. If someone could tell me how or if it's just not workable - either way, just need resolution. Thanks and God bless!
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,757   +157

Remove the hard drive and see if the laptop responds with trying to POST normally. A black screen with a blinking cursor means that the POST has been interrupted or it is waiting for a device to become ready. The CPU is ok
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.