TechSpot

Blizzard dominates May PC game sales

By Matthew
Jun 18, 2009
  1. Gaming research firm NPD Group revealed May’s top 20 selling PC games and unsurprisingly World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King sits at number one. The original title was the best-selling PC game of 2005 and 2006, and the Burning Crusade expansion sold 2.4 million copies in its first 24 hours. With more people playing WoW than ever, Wrath of the Lich King sold 2.8 million copies on its opening day, making it the fastest selling PC game of all time.

Read the whole story

2. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 920   +57

You know it has been quiet in PC gaming when Starcraft and Warcraft 3 make a top 20 list. I also noticed that the price of the battle chests have gone up considerably in the last year.

3. czplayer

czplayer TS Rookie Posts: 90

Man, when I glanced at the article I was hoping it was going to be something about the release date of StarCraft2. I wanna get it sooooooo bad!!! ;'(

4. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,093   +86 Staff Member

Haha, sorry to disappoint, czplayer. Maybe you'll be chosen to beta test ;)!

5. Either the StarCraft or WarCraft battlechest is always in the top 20, every month.

Interesting to see the SC:BC drop to number 10 though, that only happens around 3 times a year, usually the WC:BC is the one in the lower half.

6. Quiet? The battlechests always hit the top 20. Even on Amazon's lists. That's just how the last decade of pc gaming has been, and probably how it will continue to be until Diablo 3 and StarCraft 2 are released. When those hit the market, the world will feel their reverberations.

7. tengeta

tengeta TS Enthusiast Posts: 632

Is there no Guitar Hero or Rock Band for PC? That crap seems to fly off shelves faster than water.

8. Nestea

Nestea TS Rookie Posts: 17

lol. wait for Achron. Achron, hypothetically, eats all RTS games. Apart from the fact that the guy who made it is a fan of StarCraft.

9. Badfinger

Badfinger TS Rookie Posts: 160

I am surprised people are still buying that many very old games, in fact I don't believe it.

10. Appzalien

Appzalien TS Rookie Posts: 96

Its not that they're old, they keep getting updated with new technology, but its online gaming that they're talking about basically. WOW and the Sims are online games, the kind you wouldn't catch me playing on a bet. The real gaming, or offline games, thats where the real fun is. Joining a bunch of weezly geeks online to play house or pretend I'm some character is not my cup of tea.

11. Grimrocker

Grimrocker TS Rookie Posts: 16

I totally agree with you Appzalien, infact that's how true pc gaming started where you pick up a copy of a single player game which you had never heard of before and start playing it, only to realize it's one of the best experiences ever. I'm probably referring to the original Half Life game here but yeah i would prefer a great single player game over a great multiplayer game.

12. Xecutor

Xecutor TS Rookie Posts: 141

Mutliplayer Starcraft is all about competition and fun. No wonder they top the top 10 lists every year. SC2 has an internal release date (per Blizzard) of End of Q4 2009. Once it hits the shelves, the face of the world will change. The face of RTS gaming will 100% change... forever.

They have said that Beta should be starting very very soon in like end of July or month of Aug 2009. Let's hope to see some Beta footage on youtube in the coming months (or weeks!)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.