Blizzard: Don't like your StarCraft II name? Change it for free!

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Blizzard kicked up some dust last month when it revealed players would be forced to use their real first and last names to post on the official StarCraft II community site. Enraged gamers flogged the developer into submission and it abandoned plans to display users' true names only a few days after making the announcement. Stepping in the opposite direction today, the company actually wants to be sure you're happy with your name.

Blizzard will let StarCraft II owners change their in-game name once, free of charge. "In some cases, people chose character names that don't represent their usual multiplayer nicknames, as they were unaware of how the character names were being used," the company said. "It's important to us that everyone is represented by a name of their choosing in their multiplayer games, ladders, and on the forums and community site."

The post didn't say exactly when the option will be available or how you'll go about making the switch, but more details should follow soon. In addition to that notice, Blizzard mentioned plans to provide a paid service similar to the one offered for World of Warcraft, which lets gamers swap their name as often as desired -- for a fee. It's $10 per change on WoW, but no pricing information is available yet for SC II.

Permalink to story.

Kanye West voice: "Hmm, that's cool Blizzard, Imma let you finish but..."

HOW ABOUT THE DAMN LAN?!

Smfh. Seriously ...

Technically, it IS 3d. Scroll that mouse wheel up and be amazing at all the 3D-ness that is SC2

And who cares about LAN games? Unless you're playing at a professional level, suck it up and connect to bnet to get your "LAN" on.

how about you go cut your own throat infront of you mother while i molest your children.because lan is a vital part of gaming society. its fun just playing you friend, thats right next to you or in the next room without the hassle of internet. just simple, plug n play. not to mention, no lag or anything. so as i said at the start, go kill yourself as i take a dump on your mothers chest

Back