Blizzard looking into LAN-like connection for StarCraft 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Blizzard's decision to axe LAN play in StarCraft disappointed more than just a few fans of the franchise. Many scrambled to sign an online petition in an effort to change the developer's mind, and they were successful - sort of. Blizzard is now looking into incorporating a LAN-like experience, a pseudo-LAN if you will.

The almost-LAN feature will provide users with a low-ping peer-to-peer connection, but will keep Battle.net in the loop. According to Blizzard developer Greg Canessa's explanation at BlizzCon, the company is working toward a solution where users will "maintain connectivity to Battle.net in some way." Whether or not users will require a single or periodical authentication from Battle.net has yet to be defined.

While this inclusion is better than nothing, I have to question the usefulness. It's positive news for LAN parties with an Internet connection readily available, but I think the outburst was mostly regarding those who want to play multiplayer, but lack online connectivity. Nevertheless, I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before the pseudo-LAN is cracked; gamers will have their cake and eat it too.

Permalink to story.

This is exactly what they just HAVE to add for Diablo 3 aswell. Not being able to play it via LAN kinda sucks.

@Captain828: Haha... I was waiting for that, honestly. It came on the second comment - took longer than I thought.

Thats not listening, thats saying "we want what we want but here is something still kinda like what we want"

At least it's better than nothing I spose. I frequent a local LAN party every couple of months, and I reckon SC2 would get quite a few people playing if it supported LAN.

If Blizzard doesn't support LAN directly I'm sure some cleaver programmer will come up with a 3rd party solution.

It's silly word play on their part. You will still need an active internet connection to play LAN games. Stupid beyond belief. As it was pointed out a fake server will undoubtedly be available and the problem will be fixed.

The spy is a cake!
The LAN is a spy!
I heard the best joke about blizzard the other day;
A Mage was crying for help in Azeroth Trade:
"Can someone please help? I just specced frost, and put 3 points in [Improved Blizzard]... But they still suck!"

captain828 said:
Matt said:
[...] gamers will have their cake and eat it too.
I think you should know that... The cake is a lie! :p
Everyone says the cake is a lie!
Even when I host games on bnet and add "w/CAKE!" at the end people join, and immediatly say "the cake is a lie!" I don't know why :(.
Whats the difference between playing with friends on BNet and playing with friends on LAN? Assuming you do have internet (if you don't, why do you have a computer that can run sc2?).

Everyone says the cake is a lie!
Even when I host games on bnet and add "w/CAKE!" at the end people join, and immediatly say "the cake is a lie!" I don't know why :(.

It's a reference to the game Portal, where you play a test subject who is basically forced through a series of dangerous and challenging puzzles. The main character is promised cake if they successfully complete the tests. As the story progresses, the voice leading the main character (and the direction as a whole) takes a cynical turn. The main character starts to find writing and graffiti throughout the tests, and among the markings is "the cake is a lie".

It's a pretty funny game, short but entertaining. Check it out.

graffiti throughout the tests, and among the markings is "the cake is a lie".
Lol, people say that when I write "/wPIE!" or "w/CHEESE!", but come to think of it, people say it most w/CAKE!

I think removing the LAN component is suicide.

We run a monthly lan for between 5-25 people every month. We have for over 7 years now. We were thinking of dedicating one lan to SC2 when i came out as we 'were' excited about lanning it for a couple of days to get right into it.

Now there's no lan, or limited, that won't be happening! So there's a stack of Us that won't be running to clear the shelves to have it all up and running for the lan now (which in my thinking GENERATES sales). We'll be getting right into other titles that allow us our ping of 5.

Lan's of 'some kind' will only dc and cause stress.

One recent game that's beta required a steam authentication AND a second party authentication quickly had us yelling verbal abuse at their creators, when one or the other connection timed out, or connection dropped out - which unfortunately happens too. Thankfully 2 forms were reduced to one when the 'real' version came out. But that bad experience has kept my money in my pocket and that game isn't used at lans either.

So i hope they get it right, or i'll be sticking to what i normally play, which isn't RTS.

Lans are the ONLY reason why i play RTS.

FPS and MMO's are all i SOLO play.

cheers

sealcomm

My family and visitors play games (Starcraft, Dioblo 2, Warcraft 3) on the LAN because it is great fun and the internet sucks so bad out in the sticks where we live that there is no other way to really enjoy a nice smooth multi-player game. If it can't LAN there is little need to get SC2 since it will just be a huge let down to see it and dream about what it might have been like to play teams on the LAN....like our beloved old games.

If Blizzard does not add LAN to SCII I will be extraordinarily upset and may look into creating my own opensource RTS instead. You had better get it right Blizzard b/c if you don't you will have much bigger problems on your hands than illegal SCII copies.

Battle net is good enough, LANs are kind of useless for me, cause you can still party on battlenet. Since you are all in the same room, there should be no latency issue. No idea why people are crying for LAN so much, guess you guys just want a free copy of the game. Cheers~~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back