TechSpot

Blizzard replaces StarCraft II demo with Starter Edition

By Emil
Aug 4, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Blizzard has replaced the previously available StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty demo with a newly launched StarCraft II: Starter Edition. To use the Starter Edition, all you need is a…

Read the whole story

2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,558   +598

Amazing that this game has been out for a year and still selling in the $35 dollar range. That's one hella popular game with some serious staying power.

3. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,919   +685

I've been meaning to purchase it but the fact that I can reserve a copy of battlefield 3 for £30 or get this for £35+ I'm struggling to justify it :s

I've played the demo and agree it is awesome!

4. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Evangelist Posts: 1,103   +346

I don't really think its that amazing Tom this is starcraft we are talking about.

The first game is legend in korea and people would have waited 20 years easily for the second game.

5. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,181   +528

I have it and I do like it but I've stopped playing due to multiple reasons which I'll bore you with if you really want to know. I've gone back to BFBC 2 since BF3 is right around the bend and I have no idea when the next SC2 expansion will come out.

6. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,750   +1,105

Doesn't surprise me either... I played through the campaign like 3 or 4 times on different difficulties to complete all the missions/achs/challenges etc. Very cool game and a lot of fun.

7. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,919   +685

Why did you stop playing it? Thats right, someone who genuinely wants to know :)

8. SC is still huge in South Korea; they've been slow to adopt and switch to SC2 in fact. SC2 has become a MAJOR eSports player. Last weekend MLG Anaheim (includes HALO and COD, but SC2 was the main stage) had 20,000 in attendance and streamed 2.6 million hours of content with an average stream open for over 3 hours. If you're interested in eSports you already know that SC2 is the current king.

Oh, and it's a fantastic game to play, if you're into RTS. The single player wasn't bad, but it's the multiplayer experience that truly defines the game. I HIGHLY recommend checking it out if you like RTS and like playing multiplayer games.

9. catburst

catburst TS Rookie

sc2 is a great game i haven't stopped playing it since december and MLG anaheim was just awesome i had a great time there. :D

10. Zecias

Zecias TS Booster Posts: 202

Saying SC is huge in South Korea is an understatement.

11. yorro

yorro TS Booster Posts: 251

Blizzard just keep setting the bar

12. Recycle

Recycle TS Rookie Posts: 53

One of my friends had returned to Korea two years ago, after being in the States for quite awhile.
    She recounted to me that a stranger had greeted her with 'how much Starcraft do you play?'

13. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,607   +289

Been watching a lot of the games on line.

Ret vs Rain
    MMA vs MVP

Some amazing games. Makes me realise quite how pathetic my few attempts at online multiplayer SC2 have been :D

14. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,181   +528

I do admit that I love SC2 but at the same time I do have a life (no offence) so I'm not much for the league thing but I do like the decals and it just ticks me off of how annoying they are to get.

15. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,180   +73

It's interesting that what in years past would have been called a demo is now called a starter edition. Still, it's an improvement over a timed trial.

16. Zecias

Zecias TS Booster Posts: 202

yeah its depressing that all the cool ones are insanely hard to get >.>.
    As of now, i've won 100 games. Only 9 more years to get to 1000.