TechSpot

Blizzard talks Diablo 3 facts, nerfing and buffs for legendary items

By Rick
May 29, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. In an article posted on Battle.net, Blizzard talks about its Diablo 3 character-nerfing philosophy, discusses a couple of upcoming patches and shares with us some interesting facts regarding Diablo 3....

Read the whole story

2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,356   +402

So I wonder how many of that 2% who have made it to the "Inferno" difficulty are Korean's? They are just bat-shiat crazy over this game (and another Blizzard product, Starcraft II).

3. It's not 2% of people, it's of characters. So if you imagine every person in the world has at least 3 characters (the report from Blizzard says that's the average), then it would mean it's actually 6% of players, with 1 of their 3 characters being on inferno. Of course the amount of variation in the number of characters by individual players means 6% is by no means accurate, but it's not an unreasonable assumption.

4. Error 37

5. Any improvement on Diablo 3 is useless until Blizzard fixes the connectivity/lag issues. Those should come first.

6. dennis777

dennis777 TS Enthusiast Posts: 281   +32

Ah, Error 37, my old friend. So good to see you again.

7. RH00D

RH00D TS Addict Posts: 412   +106

The article needs a correction. Where it says 35% of deaths occur on Act 1 Normal, that's for Hardcore characters, not regular characters.

8. How about fixing the server before even thinking about reworking skills, difficulties, drops, equipment, etc. I for one don't care in the slightest if I can't even play the game. We paid at least $60 for the game, which BTW requires a constant internet connection, and we can't play why? I don't have a problem with the internet requirement. My problem is having the requirement and the server being down as much as it has been. I understand the game just came out, but how long was it in beta? It makes absolutely no sense to me.

9. RH00D

RH00D TS Addict Posts: 412   +106

Blizzard executives would rather put money in their pockets than into server infrastructure.

10. These guys know how to break make games. I loved reading through the forums and learning that Blizzard nerfed the monk beyond playability in the hardest difficulty because it survived.

11. I find this actually funny cause I'm Korean and working my way through Act 2 in inferno with my barb lol.

12. Auction rpg. Everyone are forced to use AH to sell what they get and buy what they need, so that Blizz could make some more hundreds of millions.

13. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,128   +731

Yeah, because I'm sure the execs just hop on newegg and whip out their credit card everytime they need a new server. WoW membership is down 2 million from it's peak, I'm sure they have a few extra servers lying around.

Maybe making a game run smoothly is more complicated than just 'buy more servers.'

14. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,571   +103

I love they way they removed "Spirit" plate armor from World Of Warcraft when it was no use to any plate wearing class. Now every other item I craft has int + str. Good stuff. Is it just to balance the items or frustrate the hell out of users crafting items...

15. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 930   +106

Its hard work pleasing millions of people, no matter what Blizzard does someone, somewhere, is going to complain. Most people just like to complain anyways so their opinions are usually exaggerated or misleading. Most of the changes I've read are for the better, especially when it comes to crafting. The rest of it hardly matters because its only a game and honestly why people are so deeply bothered by something as trivial as a game puzzles me.

16. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,686   +60

I'm in inferno, I get rolled in act 2 with my barb, I need to farm a1, sell n buy some stuff in the ah but that sounds boring atm. I wish I didn't waste so dang much gold on blacksmithing.

17. I'm surprised that Blizzard has released a game that seems to be so...unpolished? I feel like if they spent 12 years making this game (which it probably wasn't the whole 12 years, but still) then they could have made the auction house perform like it says on the back of the box, they would have PvP up and running like it was supposed to when the game came out, and they would have a pretty good, clean, game made. I understand that there will always be some tweaking and such, but to have major selling points of the game not be included at launch? that's just a little low to me

18. Rasta211

Rasta211 TS Enthusiast Posts: 195   +24

Did you know in Diablo 3, the wizard can hold a 2 handed mace? the wizard can also equip a crossbow... Something seems a tad wrong with that.

Arris likes this.
  19. mojorisin23

mojorisin23 TS Rookie Posts: 66

whats error 37? I was planning on buying this game (never had a diablo game before) but see many many bad comments...

20. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,336   +279

Remember this - just as with a restaurant or any other service oriented thing you pay for you will always hear many, many more negative responses compared to positive ones. When was the last time you filled a positive comment card when you went some where and then think of the last time you spoke to a manager when you had bad service. If you don't have any preconceived needs or desires for Diablo I think you will really enjoy it. Most people who are complaining about D3 are doing so because of the differences from D2 and just like with a movie it's always harder to make the following titles better than the early ones. The difference is D2 was better than D1 and people were hoping that the same would be true for D3.

21. Matt12345170

Matt12345170 TS Enthusiast Posts: 101   +20

Are you are still whining about server issues? Those issues lasted like two days. The only "issues" that I've had is that the AH is down like 60% of the time and the latency is alittle high. Can I play the game? Yes.

22. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,571   +103

EU servers were given Error 37 the whole of Wednesday night. Which was the one night I was able to play this week. Kinda frustrating, especially when the online all the time requirement isn't due to connecting to a server maintaining a persistant world with many players like WoW.

23. Matt12345170

Matt12345170 TS Enthusiast Posts: 101   +20

I do agree, that if they were smart, they would make it more like SC2, you authenticate, and can only get achivements if your online - but can still play offline.

Servers have not been a problem for me or anyone I know. However my bad, I didn't know that servers have been an issue else where.

24. gingerbill

gingerbill TS Enthusiast Posts: 171   +12

decent game that could become very good with changes.

Terrible Terrible servers in EU , worst run game I've ever played from a technical standpoint.

25. gingerbill

gingerbill TS Enthusiast Posts: 171   +12

dont know were you play but EU servers have been down for about 15-20 hours the last 2 days , I would say at least 50% of days since launch the EU server has been down.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.