Blizzard to free up abandoned character names ahead of Warlords of Draenor

By Shawn Knight
Sep 17, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Borrowing a page out of Yahoo's playbook, Blizzard recently announced plans to free up dormant character names in World of Warcraft. Any characters that have not logged into the game since November 13, 2008 will have their names freed up...

Read more
  2. rub900

rub900 TS Member Posts: 76   +6

Hmm. I thought by now there would 20 posts about how bad Wow sucks. I like and play Wow btw.
  3. TheDreams

TheDreams TS Addict Posts: 599   +57

It's probably going to be bloody chaos when the names are released :D
  4. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,588   +278

No! Leave the names on my characters gravestones!
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  5. They should let you use any name and have a hidden unique key (maybe based off hardware).
    In real life we all know there can only be one Alex or Fred or Alice.
  6. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

That's already being done by use of account name. As long as you can be differentiated from others by account name, there is no need in having limits in character names. That's why some games use character@account ID's.
  7. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

I can see why they don't. It takes away from the uniqueness off your name if everyone has it. For example, if they allowed multiples, there would be a hundred female warriors with the name 'Cleavage' (Cleave is one of the warrior's attacks) and there would be hundred Shaman's named Shamwow. Not to mention... just think of how sick you'd get seeing all the Game of Thrones names running around. Every 4th person would be named Danerys or whatever her name is.

It's good they're releasing the old ones... if I still played WoW, I'd be logging in on Nov 13th to try to snag a couple.
  8. Paul Ivan

Paul Ivan TS Rookie

Nice money stealing strategy.
  9. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

Yes all the MMO's change over time in the attempt to keep a game interesting, for everyone not just new players. You have a choice of whether you want to play, it is not stealing. I myself may have issues with the strategy, but I have not lost a dime I did not want to spend.