Bloatware alert: Candy Crush Saga to come pre-installed on Windows 10

Shawn Knight

Staff member

candy crush saga windows microsoft gaming games king candy crush windows 10 windows games solitaire minesweeper freecell hearts

Candy Crush Saga is coming to Windows 10. Microsoft recently revealed King’s popular mobile game will be pre-installed on its next operating system alongside the return of classic time-killers like Hearts, Minesweeper and Solitaire.

As Microsoft’s Brandon LeBlanc tells us, Candy Crush Saga will be the first game from King that’ll come automatically installed for customers that upgrade to or install a fresh copy of Windows 10. Over time, Microsoft will be adding other King titles to the mix.

While Candy Crush Saga fans will surely appreciate being able to play the game in the new OS, not everyone is seeing it in a positive light – and rightfully so.

With Windows 8, Microsoft took its collection of games and moved them to the Windows Store. If you wanted a game like Solitaire or Hearts, you’d simply go download it and play to your heart’s content (no pun intended). One less app or game pre-installed is one less piece of bloatware in the eyes of many.

Microsoft is playing this off as an awesome freebie but the truth it, it’s no different than the type of bloatware that has infested big-brand desktops and notebooks for years. Microsoft isn’t doing users a favor by pre-installing the game; King is paying them to do it.

To see Microsoft – the same company that offers bloatware-free Signature Edition PCs in its store – stoop to this level is concerning. And what’s to stop them from adding additional bloatware to Windows 10?

Microsoft promised to follow-up with news on other King titles coming to Windows 10 in the future.

Permalink to story.

Eh, "bloatware" games I don't mind as much (and with how small it will be, who cares?). It's bloatware programs that start up with Windows or remind you that they are there that I hate.

While Candy Crush Saga fans will surely appreciate being able to play the game in the new OS, not everyone is seeing it in a positive light – and rightfully so.
Rightfully so? What makes one opinion more right than another? I think some people just like complaining. Spider Solitaire is bloatware, but it's nothing more than a shortcut buried in a start menu folder. It doesn't fill up an app folder and sacred storage like bloatware on a phone.

If you like Candy Crush you'll be happy, if don't care about it, you'll probably never know it's there.

What did you want MS to do, throw the Windows 95 version of Minesweeper on there AGAIN? Bout time they updated some of their games. What better than a lightweight game that's super popular and appropriate for all ages?

Rightfully so? What makes one opinion more right than another? I think some people just like complaining. Spider Solitaire is bloatware, but it's nothing more than a shortcut buried in a start menu folder. It doesn't fill up an app folder and sacred storage like bloatware on a phone.

If you like Candy Crush you'll be happy, if don't care about it, you'll probably never know it's there.

What did you want MS to do, throw the Windows 95 version of Minesweeper on there AGAIN? Bout time they updated some of their games. What better than a lightweight game that's super popular and appropriate for all ages?
So, if microsoft put the ask.com toolbar on by defaultm would you defend it saying it's better than that old bing thing they used to have?

The problem is that this is a third party app, and the article itself says that more are coming. What else could they throw in there? Mcafee? norton? yahoo toolbar? cyberpowerdvd? this is all bloatware, and the OS having bloatware by default is NOT a good thing. This opens pandora's box to microsoft including anything they want into windows 10, and we have to suck it up and live with it being installed.

That's why some people buy macs, there is no bloatware. The same reason some people, like me, bought a nexus rather than any other android phone, no bloatware. I'm using linux ATM, so it doesnt really concern me, but if I wanted to use windows for gaming, this would be a huge red flag. inescapable bloatware is the worst bloatware.

So, if microsoft put the ask.com toolbar on by defaultm would you defend it saying it's better than that old bing thing they used to have?

The problem is that this is a third party app, and the article itself says that more are coming. What else could they throw in there? Mcafee? norton? yahoo toolbar? cyberpowerdvd? this is all bloatware, and the OS having bloatware by default is NOT a good thing. This opens pandora's box to microsoft including anything they want into windows 10, and we have to suck it up and live with it being installed.

That's why some people buy macs, there is no bloatware. The same reason some people, like me, bought a nexus rather than any other android phone, no bloatware. I'm using linux ATM, so it doesnt really concern me, but if I wanted to use windows for gaming, this would be a huge red flag. inescapable bloatware is the worst bloatware.
1st world problems

Those are all things that do interfere with your computing experience. This is an out of the way program hidden in a folder you'll likely never use. Do not compare it to the likes of toolbars.

If it's a standalone that has no impact when not used I don't care. There is load of stuff in every OS that never gets used.

It's a bit much though when they ditched solitaire and minesweeper with windows 8

I'm fairly certain that games can be removed through Programs and Features. At least that is the way with Windows 7. Windows 7 Professional has games by default turned off.

What irritates me the most about the inclusion bloatware applications is the fact that MS doesn't make them the best they can be. The only applications worth having are the ones with a price tag and not included in the OS. I'd rather just have a simple OS, and then I can go elsewhere to get my own bloat. Bloat that in my own opinion is worth having.

I'm fairly certain that games can be removed through Programs and Features. At least that is the way with Windows 7. Windows 7 Professional has games by default turned off.

What irritates me the most about the inclusion bloatware applications is the fact that MS doesn't make them the best they can be. The only applications worth having are the ones with a price tag and not included in the OS. I'd rather just have a simple OS, and then I can go elsewhere to get my own bloat. Bloat that in my own opinion is worth having.
Sounds like Debian would be your goto OS

I think it's great. I've play CCS and it's fun. Like someone else mentioned, MS needs to update its games and since they're giving the OS away, might as well include some hugely popular free games rather than have MS Games spend loads of cash to build more disasters nobody will ever use. Maybe throw some Angry Birds in there too?

Solitaire and Spider Solitaire are two different games. I was assuming you were not referring to Spider Solitaire, when you mentioned the removal of Solitaire in Windows 8.

This game is not yet available it seems, as a stand-alone app on the Windows PC platform - yet.
If it becomes available, I expect it to be NOT bloatware, like Office apps, since it is low in storage space and PC overheads when running.

Designed for mobile phones, it should easily fit; junior-gamers can be in heaven. Senior PC workers might enjoy not being so stuffy and senior for a short time.

Back