Blu-ray 3D video standard finalized, product launches imminent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

The Blu-ray Disc Association has published the final specification for 3D Blu-ray video. Blu-ray 3D employs an amended H.264 codec called Multiview Video Coding (MVC) to deliver stereoscopic 3D images, which is backward compatible and surprisingly only uses about 50% more data than equivalent 2D media.

The new standard incorporates 3D menus and subtitles, and works with many existing and yet-to-be-released display technologies, as well as the PlayStation 3 (via a pending firmware update). The completed specification will be available "shortly" and will offer the technical information required for manufacturers and content providers to develop, announce and bring 3D products to market.

While many people -- including myself -- have little interest in 3D media, BDA Global Promotions Committee Victor Matsuda says that when given the option, moviegoers prefer to watch theatrical releases in 3D over 2D. Do you plan to buy 3D-related products when available? Is this just another fad?

Permalink to story.

This is dumb. I'm trying to figure out why this antiquated technology is suddenly being readopted. I'd be a lot more interested if they could find a way to make it truly 3D without the use of glasses -- but that probably won't happen for a while and I'm perfectly content with 2D entertainment.

Convenience will be the name of the game. If I have to wear bulky expensive shutter glasses to watch a 2 hour movie, I think this will be a fad that I'll get over quickly. Never ming the headaches and eye strain.

"Victor Matsuda says that when given the option, moviegoers prefer to watch theatrical releases in 3D over 2D."

Based on what? I don't know of a single person who wants to sit around watching fuzzy movies wearing goofy glasses. For myself and techno-nerd friends, 3D is strictly a novelty and not even remotely close to general acceptance.

I agree. No interest unless 1) i can view it without glasses 2)It can be viewed from a wide angle & 3) does not result in any more blurriness in pictures - i greatly prefer sharp images to blurry action shots.

How can you guys underestimate the power of technology....whatever the industry really wants to succeed they will make it happen. Just stop and think about all the wonderful tech gadgets out there and what they can do compared to 20 yrs or so.....just think!

If it requires glasses still, its STILL not 3D. Its an optical illusion. This is the future of TV and movies, new standards every 5 years to make up for "lost profits" from piracy.

Thanks to 3D there are finally 120hz monitors available. If the glasses become cheap and bluray movies come with 3d as standard then the better we are for it. Choices are good, wanting the same old thing ad infinitum is not.

I watched Final Destination 4 in 3D and it was awesome ! The glasses they gave out were not that bad, I didn't even realize I had them on after about 10-15 minutes. They are just like wearing a pair of sunglasses to watch the movie.

3D capable TV+3D capable Blu-ray player+3D movie Blu-Ray disc+glasses=an eye+a kidney+an arm
I'll probably buy it when it only costs half a kidney (+-a finger).

Meh as most already said this still is to much of a novelty then really something we'd all jump on. Until technology evolves along more I don't see this taking off to the point of being mainstream. I'm probably not getting it. But its nice to see that technology is being expanded. And of course its one step closer to me owning my own HOLODECK! lol. The real technology that will replace every form of entertainment! One day...

Yay Holodecks! Better get cryogenically frozen first so that when they revive you you'll still be young enough to enjoy it! ;)

If the 'current' 3D tech is done right it is amazing! But I prefer sticking to the 3D films at the IMAX. Anyone ever seen Under the Sea 3D? A-MA-ZING!!!

While i loved the one or two movies I've seen in 3D, the strain on my eyes was too much. As I wear glasses, and notice nearly all my friends do as well, I don't see 3D tv being a good thing with the ordinary glasses a great deal of people have to wear already.

However I say the research should keep moving on, but I won't be adopting the current tech any time soon.

Sony should concentrate on bringing Wii-like capabilities to PS3 first. While I do not mind 3D glasses as much (provided they are light-weight) 3D with stereoscopy has limitations because it is imperfect (causes headaches for many people).

I agree - meh! 3D is a fad - for me it removes the realism having to wear those d*rky glasses - and it gives me a headache.

hello ...

in the beginning of computing, someone from IBM said there would be only a few computers here & there.
someone else said one day that we won't be needed more disc space or memory on the PCs
the media war of Betamax vs VHS is often used to compare technology for media storage.
we thought Blu-ray with 50 Gb was big, now they are also doing 300Gb+
We have Terabytes of files at home saved on several media.
Yesteryear it was 29inches SD TV, then there were also LCD, Plasma, now we can count on OLED.
Why do we have to always think we know everything!
Technology progresses, whatever we may want or need. not more than 4 months ago, there were a lot of articles about Blu-ray movies being scare & expensive, sorry but today we can have them at same price if not cheaper than DVD collections.
3D is bound to happen, it is imperfect, but the evolution towards perfection will be there only when it will be widely used, till then no one tried giving it a chance.
I think we shall talk about this in a year or two & we would laugh about our 1st impression on it.
it's not impossible to have 3D without the fancy glasses ;) ... it just cost too much.
i'm sure soon we'll all adopt it & enjoy it without even thinking that we had some bad mouth about it.
cheers!

I watched beowulf in 3d at the theater and it sucked. Not enjoyable at all. The movie was ok, but the 3d experience was sub-par

treat yourself to seeing avatar in 3D. it's better than any other 3D movie thats out (because it's actually a sweet 3D effect) and then you'll realize why this is such a sweet move. You'll want to see more things in 3D when you realize it's actually good now.

Too bad the story for that movie sucks hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back