TechSpot

Blue/scrambled screen

By jayshumw
Oct 18, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Also getting "video hardware stopped working and was recovered"

Have already replaced video card, cleaned RAM with eraser, memtest good for 8 hrs.

Any input greatly appreciated....

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y533/jayshuw/bluescreens.jpg

Can't get Windbg to recognize symbols I downloaded either >< (I'm new to it)

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,929   +167

"video hardware stopped working and was recovered"... This is a video driver problem. What is your computer's make and model?

jayshumw likes this.
  3. jayshumw

jayshumw TS Rookie Topic Starter

It is a Compaq Presario. Don't have the model number atm. Athlon X2 4800+, ecs iris8, currently with a gigabyte 6670 but have also tried a diamond 5450 with no noticeable difference. Vista 32 bit. Thanks for the response.

4. jayshumw

Model number is SR5610F.

I just uninstalled the graphics card and am running on integrated graphics now. I will see how it goes.

5. Tmagic650

Okay good...

6. jayshumw

Ok, I've been doing homework for a few hours now with no crashes. Assuming no crashes with the integrated graphics, what are the possible causes. Note I was having the exact same problems with two different video cards after completely uninstalling and reinstalling the respective drivers. Am I looking at a PCI-E driver/bus/slot problem? And also the slot is 16x and the cards are 2.1, would this be an issue? System BIOS is dated 2008, but is the most recent. (Phoenix Award I think)

7. Tmagic650

The power supply may be too weak to run the add-on video cards

8. jayshumw

It ran the 5450 for almost a year before it started crashing, I suppose the PSU could be failing. I do have a 450 watt Antec I ordered for a new build that I could swap out.

9. Tmagic650

Sounds like a good idea

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.