Blue/scrambled screen

"video hardware stopped working and was recovered"... This is a video driver problem. What is your computer's make and model?

It is a Compaq Presario. Don't have the model number atm. Athlon X2 4800+, ecs iris8, currently with a gigabyte 6670 but have also tried a diamond 5450 with no noticeable difference. Vista 32 bit. Thanks for the response.

Model number is SR5610F.

I just uninstalled the graphics card and am running on integrated graphics now. I will see how it goes.

Ok, I've been doing homework for a few hours now with no crashes. Assuming no crashes with the integrated graphics, what are the possible causes. Note I was having the exact same problems with two different video cards after completely uninstalling and reinstalling the respective drivers. Am I looking at a PCI-E driver/bus/slot problem? And also the slot is 16x and the cards are 2.1, would this be an issue? System BIOS is dated 2008, but is the most recent. (Phoenix Award I think)

It ran the 5450 for almost a year before it started crashing, I suppose the PSU could be failing. I do have a 450 watt Antec I ordered for a new build that I could swap out.

Back