blue screen 0x00000024 ntfs

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2jmocho

Hi i started my computer yesterday, when loading xp (black screen, xp logo in the middle, blue bar moving left to right), suddenly it restarted. It keeps on restarting the computer without managing to go to windows screen.

So i decided to do a windows recovery, i booted from my xp cd, then i pressed f6 and selected xp option and the computer recognized my hard drive from my floopy. Then the blue xp setup screen came along. Now i have three options, i selected the first as stated on your windows xp recovery forum. Then this information following comes along for one second:

examining 286182mb disk at id 0 on bus 0 on interaid

then suddenly this information:

xxx stop: 0x00000024 (0x001902FE, 0xF7CA6B74, 0xF7CA6870, 0xF742C746)

xxx ntfs, stys_adress F742C746 base at F741B000,
Datestamp 41107eea

From this i have no other option but to restart, so i did and this time i pressed the 2nd option on the xp setup which is the recovery, still the same information.

I have also tried all start options which are normal, last known good config, safty mode and the other two safty mode options, all of the 5 options restarts during loading my xp proffessional.

I had a blue screen problem about 3 months ago, but i was able to use the xp cd and recovery and did a CHKDSK to sort the problem. Three weeks ago i used diskeeper to degrag my hard drive, after one week i uninstalled this as it was a trial. I have had no problems starting the pc for the last two weeks. Please help!

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

The error message you`re receiving means you may have a hard drive problem. See below.

0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. I suggest running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions.

I suggest you run a hard drive utility on the drive to check for faults.

Look HERE for a list of hard drive utilities.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Hi, i can't use the hard drive utility because whichever route i use, my computer restarts. If i use last known good config, safe mode or safe mode with command prompt the pc restarts. If i use my xp cd to boot and try to use recovery in either setup xp (option1) or recovery (option2), my pc restarts. Is there any other way to solve my problem?

can i start the harddrive utility from the boot option when starting the pc, also which one should i use?

That`s good.

You should then be able to run one of the hard drive diagnostic utilities.

Go into your bios and set the boot priority to floppy drive(a)/cd-rom(d)/hard drive(c). Put the floppy in the drive and save and exit bios.

Run the hard drives tests and see what the results are.

Regards Howard :)

The best hard drive utility to use, would be the one for your particular brand of hard drive.

If it`s not on our list, you should be able to find it at your hard drive manufacturers website.

Regards Howard :)

Problem Solved!

Hi, i downloaded a demo of HDD Regenerator, this checked my Hard drive for any bad sectors. One bad sector was found and then recovered.

XP loaded normally after that. Thank you very much for your help!!

It seems my problem is very similar. I took a piucture of the error message. Here is what it says.

>

I have an AMD Athlon 2500+ Barton with 1gig of ram. I also get different values for the CPU and ram when it boots up. I tried taking out 1 of the DIMMs and it seems to behave differently. I'm not sure if the RAM is bad or what? I do not have a floppy drive in it, but I do have on LS120 drive I could put in.

Hi, just to let know, the restarting problem for me occured about 3 days later after the problem was solved. I decided to use HDD regenarator again to recover the bad boot sector. Once xp loaded normally, this time i used system restore to go to a previous setting. I then used Tune Up Utilities 2006. Now its been 1 week with no problems.

Ok, I'm just running HDD... now. It takes a long time. It's at about 26gig's now and has not found any problems. It's 40gig drive.

The scan revealed no errors. Any other suggestions would be welcome. I'm at the A: prompt now, but chkdsk doesn't seem to work from there. I probably need a boot disk that boots to C:?

Hi, i don't work for techspot but here are a couple of things you could try:

1) Got to safe mode and then do a system restore to a earlier point
2) boot on cd drive then using your xp cd do a recovery (on xp setup page remember to use option 1 of installation and then once it identifies your drive you can do a recovery, do not press option 2 of recovery on the xp setup page).
3) check if you can go to safe mode with command prompt, if this works reply back for further information.

I would advice you to start a new post to get the attention of a techspot advisor. But please reply to this thread so i know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back