Blue Screen and unexpeected shutdowns

turbotog

Hi all,

Serious problems on my computer. It is just randomly shutting down and when I try load it back up it gives me a blue screen (memory dump etc) I have tried updating the drivers etc and says it's all up to date. Sometimes I am having to switch it on/off around a dozen times and then it may work but then have same problem next day. Is there a way of finding out for sure what the problem is so I can action it rather than paying money for new graph card, new motherboard etc etc?

Thanks
David

Hey Tmagic650,

It is Vista Home Premium

Processor: Intel (R) Pentium (R) Dual CPU E2140 @1.6GHz 1.60GHz

Memory RAM: 2.00GB
System Type: 32-bit Operating System
Graph Card is 8600

Hope this info is alright.

For the record sometimes I am having to turn off the base unit around 10 times as can't turn off any other way and then it may work. Still getting blue screen (memory dump) Sometimes my desktop loads but can't move the mouse or get any response from any key I press when this happens. I am hoping it is just Graphcard but trying to avoid expense if this isn't the problem.

Thanks for the specs. With your description, what is the power supply's wattage? Have you checked the memory and hard drive for errors? Because you have to shut the computer down the way you do, the hard drive may be corrupt now

Not sure on Power supply but I know I got power supply to handle the graph card so I think it was pretty big as last time my power supply wasn't capable to go with the graph card.

Sometimes I think I get a message saying driver temporarely stopped working but think at that point that fixes itself but as I say it is very tempramental. After 2 blue screens and 2 total freezes tonight it has ran fine for last 4hrs or so and it tends to so this as if it needs time to warm up and then all good. Oh I removed dust etc from the inside too few weeks ago but no change

I have been getting a pop-up-box all morning saying Windows detedcted a hard disk problem. Back up your files immediately to prevent info loss and then contact the comp manufacturer to determine if you need to repair or replace disk

Gives me an option of start process or ask me again later

To be honest mate I don't really have much on my files as most of them go onto my other halves computer. I generally use this for surfing and playing games. You reckon the sole problem is the hard drive or you think there is more to it and this has been caused by an initial problem?

All this advice is appreciated for the record

You are one of the lucky ones, who got a warning of an impending hard drive failure. The drive is probably has failed a SMART status check... The drive needs to be replaced first. It could also be the main source of the initial problems

You reckon it's worth me just buying a new computer? I don't want to spend a couple of hundred pound to get it fixed just so it goes again in 2-3 months

You can purchase a new hard drive for under $50. Of course you have to have a legit copy of the version of Windows you want to use

So you think it's only the hard drive that needs replacing? That will be around £80 + £70 for windows (in England)

May be worth it if I know for sure it is just those 2 things but my concern is if it needs Graph Card or anything else done to it.

Back