TechSpot

Blue screen error 8E

By gbhall
Feb 5, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have come across a problem (XP-pro 2Gb) on the CD writer unit - sony CRX230E. It will cause a blue screen when accessing the drive, either at boot time or when attempting to write to it. This only happens with a TDK 12x CD-RW disc in the drive.

So far, I have attempted to reinstall the driver (built-in XP - no alternatives available), and tried two separate writing packages - Pinnacle instantCd/Dvd and InfraRecorder. The unit still reads perfectly, and as far as I know, it will still write to a blank CD/R, but I dont have any at the moment. I last wrote a CD only a couple of days ago.

The problem seems restricted to the CD/RW media, and these are brand new and unused. Any pointers ?
  2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

Yep. There are so many many reasons to stay away from the Sony optical drives... now that they are being made by NEC and not Sony, I hope those problems are alleviated.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.