Blue Screen Error after Starting Windows XP Fax

jwazevedo

I have an older Sony Vaio BZ560, which I use to send the occasional fax using the built-in Window fax software. When I went to send a fax today, the software started sending, but then Windows went to the blue screen and restarted. I checked the various connections and tried twice more, with the same result. I don't recall changing any system hardware since my last successful fax, which was some months ago.

The event log shows three consecutive DCOM errors (event ID 10016), followed some seconds later by a system error (event ID 1003). The DCOM errors all say:

"The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {A4199E55-EBB9-49E5-AF1A-7A5408B2E206} to the user NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE SID (S-1-5-20). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool."

I don't recall ever changing the permissions for anything.

Any advice on what is causing this fatal error and how I might fix it?

Thanks,
Jerry

UPDATE:
After further investigation, I have found the minidump files for these crashes, and DCOM might have nothing to do with it. The minidump points to stdriverx86.sys as the offending file. Also in the stack are sysaudio.sys, ntoskrnl.sys, ks.sys, and HSFHWAZL.sys (my modem driver).

I get the crash only when I try to fax, not at any other time.

With this new information, does anyone have an idea what is causing the trouble?

Thanks,
Jerry

Yes, AFAIK. The computer has a Conexant software modem, and I use it to send faxes. The minidump lists that HSFHWAZL in the stack and says that it is associated with the software modem.
Thanks,
Jerry

OK, I'm having trouble running memtest. I downloaded the zipped iso file and unzipped it and then burned it to a disk (actually a DVD-R). But when I reboot, the boot looks at the optical drive (first in my boot priority) but then goes to Windows. What am I missing?
Thanks,
Jerry

Is your optical drive a CD or DVD drive. Sometimes Memtest86 works better burned to a CD. Are you sure the optical drive is set as the first boot device before the hard drive? Did you download Memtest86 version 4.20?

My optical drive is a CD/DVD drive (handles both).
I checked the CMOS and verified that the optical drive is the first up. When I boot, I can hear the computer checking the optical drive, but then it gives up and goes to the hard drive.
I'm using version 4.20.
Thanks,
Jerry

What program did you use to burn the Memtest86 .iso file? Sounds like the burned DVD is corrupt

I used Roxio. I opened a data disk project, added the MT420.iso file to the project, and burned the disk. If you have another suggestion, I'd like to try it.
Thanks,
Jerry

Thanks. While I was waiting, I tried using Express Burn, which I've used before with some success, and created another DVD. It booted fine, and the Memtest is running now. I'll let it go the 7 passes and post the results here.
Thanks,
Jerry

Might as well check the hard drive now... Go to My Computer. Right-click on the C drive. Select Properties, Tools, Check Now. Put a check mark in both boxes to set a disk check on the next start up

In the device manager uninstall the Conexant software modem. Restart the laptop. Se if windows will re-install the driver

OK, I just did that. Windows wouldn't automatically re-install the driver, but I used the Sony support site to download the original driver and install it. Then I tried the fax, and it crashed the system. The computer restarted, but when I logged in, the computer crashed. I started the computer in safe mode and looked at the minidump. Both the crash when faxing and the crash when restarting were identical. The difference is that now my computer won't start without crashing, whereas before, it only crashed when I initiated a fax.
Here is the text of the minidump:
==================================================
Dump File : Mini060913-03.dmp
Crash Time : 6/9/2013 8:13:51 AM
Bug Check String : SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug Check Code : 0x1000007e
Parameter 1 : 0xc0000005
Parameter 2 : 0xba2abc30
Parameter 3 : 0xba51bb4c
Parameter 4 : 0xba51b848
Caused By Driver : stdriverx86.sys
Caused By Address : stdriverx86.sys+3c30
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : 32-bit
Crash Address : stdriverx86.sys+3c30
Stack Address 1 : stdriverx86.sys+109a
Stack Address 2 : stdriverx86.sys+1a5a
Stack Address 3 : stdriverx86.sys+55d
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini060913-03.dmp
Processors Count : 2
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 2600
Dump File Size : 90,112
Dump File Time : 6/9/2013 8:14:48 AM
==================================================
Thanks,
Jerry

Looks like the internal modem is bad now...
Have you looked into sending faxes using the Internet?

SOLVED
The problem was the stdriverx86.sys file, which was installed with NCH Software's Sound Tap program. I deleted all traces of that file (along with the software), and the computer started properly. I was able to send a fax.
Thanks for your help,
Jerry

Back