Blue screen error, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebrider13

alright, my computer turns on, loads the BIOS, i changed the Boot priority to the cd drive. shut computer off and load CD, window cd loads through..goes through all the formatting, installs system files, then when the computer reboots to load the time and date, like to put in your information, like name, password, computer name, etc. it automatically goes to the blue screen saying that it stopped to prevent any damage to my computer...okay, so heres what i did to try to fix it. First
When i turn the cumputer on, my LCD poster tells me
- CPU init
- det dram
- pci init
- vga bios
- test/ram
- det ide
- test ram
- UPD DMI
- Ready for use
1) i took everything back apart. EVERYTHING
2) I took the ram out. i tried both sticks. both are 1gb. now their are 4 slots. the sticks don't work together. they dont work in the 1st 2nd or 4th slot, only the 3rd. i cant use both sticks at the same time. i have an LCD poster on the back of my computer. when i try the sticks in the 1st 2nd or 4th slot, the computer wont even turn on. it says DET RAM. Personally i think its the ram but it does it with both sticks. their misht be a motherboard failure in that sector. i don't know, you'd have to tell me...
3)I bought a new hard drive 1,000 gb western digital.
4)I tried 4 different windows Cd's. Windows xp pro sp2, windows vista home edition. windows home edition. and Linux ubuntu
5)i tried both a CD drive and a DVD drive, thinking maybe its the drive not letting a certain part load to the hard drive, ha i don't ****ing know
6) took the CPU fan off and the CPU itself
7) took the round battery out, it matches my other computers battery so i just tried it out and left it in, my other computer still works even with the battery that came from the broken one.
8) I tried a KILL DISK CD and a KILL DISK floppy. nothing.
9) All the CPU specs are good. the temp coming from the CPU is within tolerance.

well i told you everything that i know and everything that Ive tried. please help me out and tell me what i need to do to get it fixed or if i need to get another one. im sending you a link of what the blue error screen says when i go to install windows.

Okay, first what does your motherboard manufacturer's manual say is the proper configuration for 2 sticks of Ram: Slots 1 and 2, 1 and 3, or 2 and 4?

Second, is it possible to test your RAM sticks in another system, perhaps a friends? It will help us to determine if it is indeed your motherboard memory slots or the RAM itself. Plus, in another system you could run Memtest on your RAM. www.memtest.org

Third, tell us the make and model of your motherboard and if it is still under warrenty.

okay. the computer will only turn on when using the ram in the 3rd slot with one stick. or the 3rd and 4th slot with both sticks.
my cpu specs are AMD athlon 62 fx-62 dual core
i have (2) 1gb sticks of 2rx8 pc2-4200u-444-12-e3

Have you tried to install XP with both sticks in slots 3 and 4 or does it still hang as you mentioned?

Support AMD® Socket AM2 Athlon 64 X2 / Athlon 64 FX / Athlon 64/ Sempron
AMD Cool 'n' Quiet™ Technology
AMD64 architecture enables simultaneous 32-bit and 64-bit computing
AMD Live!™ Ready
Chipset

NVIDIA nForce® 590 SLI™ MCP
NVIDIA LinkBoost™ Technology
Front Side Bus

2000 / 1600 MT/s
Memory

Dual channel memory architecture
4 x DIMM, max. 8GB, DDR2-800/667/533, ECC and non-ECC, un-buffered memory
Expansion Slots

2 x PCI Express x16 slot with NVIDIA® SLI™ technology support, at full x16, x16 speed
1 x PCI Express x4
3 x PCI 2.2
Scalable Link Interface (SLI™)

Support two identical NVIDIA SLI-Ready graphics cards (both at x16 mode)
ASUS two-slot thermal design
ASUS PEG Link
Storage

NVIDIA nForce® 590 SLI™ MCP supports:
* 1 x Ultra DMA 133 / 100 / 66 / 33
* 6 x Serial ATA 3.0Gb/s
* NVIDIA MediaShield™ RAID supports RAID 0, 1, 0+1, 5 and JBOD span cross Serial ATA drives
Silicon Image® 3132 SATA controller supports
* 2 x External Serial ATA 3.0Gb/s port on back I/O (SATA On-the-Go)
* Support RAID 0, 1, and JBOD
LAN

Dual Gigabit LAN controllers support NVIDIA DualNet® technology
NVIDIA nForce® 590 SLI™ MCP built-in dual Gigabit MAC with external Marvell PHY
* Support Teaming and fail-over functions
* Support TCP/IP Acceleration
Audio

SupremeFX Audio Card
featuring ADI 1988B 8-channel High Definition Audio CODEC
Support Jack-Sensing, Enumeration, Multi-streaming and Jack-Retasking
8 channel audio ports
Coaxial, Optical S/PDIF out on back I/O port
* ASUS Array Mic
* Noise Filter
IEEE 1394a

TI 1394 controller supports 2 x 1394a ports
USB

max. 10 USB2.0/1.1 ports
Overclocking Features

* ASUS AI NOS™ (Non-delay Overclocking System)
* AI Overclocking (intelligent CPU frequency tuner)
* AI Clock Skew
* ASUS PEG Link - automatically performance tuning for graphics cards
* ASUS O.C. Profile: overclocking configuration-sharing tool
* ASUS C.P.R.(CPU Parameter Recall)
* Extreme Tweaker
ASUS AI Booster Utility
Adjustable FSB/DDR2 ratio. Fixed PCI/PCIe frequencies.
Special Features

LCD Poster
EL I/O
Onboard LED
Onboard switches: Power / Reset / Clr CMOS
Q-Connector
Q-Fan Plus
ASUS CrashFree BIOS3
ASUS EZ Flash2
ASUS Music Alarm
ASUS MyLogo3
Back Panel I/O Ports

1 x PS/2 Keyboard port
1 x PS/2 Mouses
1 x Optical + 1 x Coaxial S/PDIF Output
2 x External SATA
2 x LAN (RJ45) port
4 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports
1 x IEEE 1394a port
1 x onboard LED switch
1 x LCD Poster
Internal I/O Connectors

3 x USB 2.0 connectors supports additional 6 USB 2.0 ports
1 x Floppy disk drive connector
1 x IDE connector for two devices
6 x SATA connectors
1 x CPU / 7 x option Fan
3 x thermal sensor connector
1 x IEEE1394a connector
1 x S/PDIF output connector
Chassis Intrusion connector
Front Panel Audio connector
24-pin ATX Power connector
8-pin ATX 12V Power connector
System panel connector
1 x EL I/O Shield Connector
BIOS

8Mb AWARD BIOS, PnP, DMI2.0, WfM2.0, SM BIOS 2.3
Manageability

WOL by PME, WOR by PME, Chasis Intrusion, PXE
Accessories

1 x SLI bridge
1 x ASUS Array Mic
1 x ASUS Optional Fan
1 x ASUS Q-Connector Kit (system panel; Retail version only)
3 x thermal sensor cables
1 x UltraDMA 133/100/66 cable
1 x Floppy disk drive cable
6 x SATA cables
7 x Cable Ties
3 x SATA power cable for 6 devices
1 x 2-port USB2.0 module
1 x IEEE1394a module
1 x EL I/O Shield
User's manual
Support DVD

Drivers
ASUS PC Probe II
ASUS Update
ASUS AI Booster
Futuremark ® 3DMark® 06 Advanced Edition
NVIDIA MediaShield™ RAID
Kaspersky® Anti-Virus
Form Factor

That is one serious motherboard and I commend you on the steps you have taken to rectify your issue. Sorry if this sounds dumb (it is 12:30 in the morning here and I need to hit the sack real soon), but reading your reply you said, "the computer will only turn on when using the ram in the 3rd slot with one stick. or the 3rd and 4th slot with both sticks."

For my clarification are you saying the computer turns on only when one stick is in the 3rd slot alone or that it will also turn on with sticks in both 3 and 4 together? So am I to assume that even with sticks in slots 3 and 4 you are experiencing the same issues, correct?

Another thing I just thought of: Is your RAM compatible with this Asus board. Asus boards are notorious about being picky about RAM. They always give a list per board the list of recommended RAM.

honestly i don't know if it is recommended. and thank you on saying that it is one serious motherboard, i agree :D. and yes. the same problem occurs when using the pc with that ram in the 3rd slot alonr and with the 3rd and 4th slot together. is anyways you can help me? maybe find if its compatible? the ram sticks are samsung brand

this is the ram i currently use. SAMSUNG 1GB 2RX8 PC2-4200U-444-12-E3
the specs cay the system uses DDR2-800/667/533, ECC and non-ECC, un-buffered memory
could this be the problem, if so, why do the samsung memory sticks fit to my board?

It may be your ram, try testing it with memtest. Either download the floppy drive iso, or the cd iso. Then you should test the ram.

Okay, here is what you can do. Go to Asus's website and find your exact motherboard model. They will have a full page on your motherboard and you should be able to find the recommended RAM. Usually they list it to the side.

I can't help but feel you may have a bad board or a few bad slots which i guess makes it a bad mobo.

You could try and see if it is harddrive by slaving it in another system and running a full harddrive diagnostics on it. Your HD manufacturer will supply a free utility to do so on their website.

Also, it might be your power supply. What is the make, model and wattage of your power supply? Not only will corrupted memory cause headaches but so will a PSU that doesn't supply the right flow of power. Do you know of anyone that has a muultimeter that you could borrow to test it? I have a digital Craftsman that I got for $20 and it works great.

Did you try having a fan blowing in your case while loading the OS? I am wondering if it was getting hot while loading.

Man, I am all over the place! :D Listen, I need to go to bed and get some :zzz: I'll check in tomorrow and see if any of my suggestions helped/worked. There will probably be other people looking in who have a lot of knowledge and experience that just might give you a different direction that will work. Good luck!

Edit: They fit because they meet the memory slot dimensions. You have the right type of memory but as I said Asus is picky. Run Memtest. Burn to a CD from another system, put in your CD/DVD drive, reboot. The test will almost immediately begin before an OS can even load. It is testing RAM, not your HD. This takes a long time. The rule is 7 PASSES minimum. There are 8 individual tests per Pass.

I must agree with Route44 on the Asus having picky ram, I myself just bought a Asus mobo, as well as 2gb of ram that matched their tech specs, however whenever I tried to run or install windows the system would crash. I looked in the manual for the mobo, and found that although it met specs it wasn't on their 'usable' list. I bought new ram that was in their manual, and have had no problems since then.

if you go to the link you supplied then. from there go to the option called downloads.. then manuals

did you get sorted out?

GREAT NEWS. got the computer working, but its only allowing me to run 1 stick of ram that is 1gb. and it there any way what so ever that i will be able to transfer my 35.6 gigs of music from my old hard drive over to my new one, with out using an external hard drive or anything thatd id have to buy, also my ipod isnt big enough so dont suggest disk mode. is there anyway that i can maybe shrink the size of the music files then put them to a cd then to my new pc? please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back