TechSpot

Blue screen kernel data inpage error

By alicia23
Jan 1, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Blue Screen KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

Help! Our computer turned blue for the third time. Yea, blue screen. :O What am I supposed to do with this?

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try chaging video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

***STOP: 0x0000007A (0xC03E1224, 0xC000000E, 0xF8489130, 0x0EB75860)

*** atapi.sys- Address F8489130 base at F8478000, Datestamp 41107b4d

Beginning dump of Physical memory

---When the cursor hangs, its the time when the computer malfunctions. Blue screen appears and shows that message. I don't know what to press to escape that, and there's really no keys functioning, so I just turned off the AVR. And when I turn it on, everything's fine. But after few hours, the blue screen is there again. :O

Please help. Thanks. :|

2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,166   +37

Blue Screens are the result of a malfunction in your computer either with your hardware or software or sometimes both. Blue Screens are actually the result of Windows protecting your system.

You need to tell us how old this system is, what OS you are running, and when these Blue Screens occur, i.e. doing something specific or are they random?

We need your minidump files as well.

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

* Due to the fact that it is late here on the East Coast I'll check them some time tomorrow afternoon or perhaps someone else can read and respond in the meantime.

3. aussj4link

aussj4link TS Rookie

Sorry if I'm reviving an old thread. I just recently got back online after being off for about 8 months and this computer is getting rather old so I'm trying to fix problems as early as possible to extend this computers life as far as possible. I have only had one occurrence of this problem so far but like I said I would like to fix it ASAP.

As soon as I got back online my first thing was to do windows update. In the middle of the update it crashed with the blue screen. I'm running Windows XP Media Center Ed and the computer is about 5 years old now and well used. I will attach the only Minidump file I have in the folder.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attached Files:

4. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,166   +37

As per your minidump your issue is with memory corruption. Therefore you’ll need to run Memtest on your RAM.

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download the latest ISO version which is 4.20. It is free and perfectly safe.

2. Burn ISO to a CD.

3. Place CD in your drive and reboot with CD in drive. (You might have to place your drive as first bootable in your BIOS) The test will take over.

There is a Tutorial: How to use Memtest in our Guides and Tutorials forum; follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed; use the newer. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes (not hours; this test is not measured by hours); the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

* Get back to us with the results.

5. aussj4link

aussj4link TS Rookie

It might take me a bit to get this done as I don't have a working burner at the moment however I have a friend that does, as soon as I can get this burned I will run it.

6. prabuddha

prabuddha TS Rookie

Hi,
    I'm having this problem of BSOD for about a week, and it shows quite often. Specially when I'm browsing the internet. I've used firefox,chrome,opera and all these sometimes stop responding and sometimes restart.
    I've been working with this PC for years and didnot give any problems like this.The most recent hardware I connected is a Huwawei e173 usb modem after which I started the problem.But I did work fine with it for about a week.
    please help me. thank you!
    system specs:
    • PIV 2.4 GHz
    • 1.25 GB ram
    • 128MB VGA
    • 500GB SATA HDD
    • WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE X86 Capture.JPG

Attached Files:

7. Aditya

Aditya TS Rookie

kernal data inpage error atapisays

8. Aditya

Aditya TS Rookie

how to rectifi that
    please help me what is the problem

9. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TS Maniac Posts: 1,849   +184

You will have to make your own post. Then list your computers specs ,Make and model,Plus post your bsod. Doing this will help someone help you.

10. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TS Maniac Posts: 1,849   +184

You will have to make your own post, The list your own computer specs,Make and Model .Plus post your bsod. doing this will help someone to help you.

11. angelie gabijan

angelie gabijan TS Rookie

Hi,
    I have the same problem with Route44, I just noticed this kind of error lately.

Hope you could help me with this. See attached files.

Thanks

Attached Files:

12. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,915   +167

13. angelie gabijan

angelie gabijan TS Rookie

Thank You Tmagic650 :)

I will try what you said and let you know if this kind of errors will occur again.

14. Kn1ghtMare

Kn1ghtMare TS Member

Hello, I am having the same problem. I go into sleep or hybernate and when I try to re-wake, I get the kernal data inpage error message. I have tried numerous fixes and ideas to fix the problem but am having no good results. I have attached the mini-dump file. Please help! Thank u!

Attached Files:

15. Tmagic650

Are you running Avast?

16. Kn1ghtMare

Kn1ghtMare TS Member

No my friend, I am not. I am running Windows 8.1 Pro with Windows Defender as my security. What can u offer as a possible fix? I just updated my system spec's in my profile on this site if u would like to have a look at what im running...

17. Tmagic650

The minidump suggests that the hard drive may have a problem but the trouble symptom suggests that there is a video problem, maybe a driver issue. Test the hard drive by going to Computer. Right-click on the C drive. Select properties, tools, check now. Put a check mark in both boxes to set a disk check on the next start up. Are there any yellow (!) in the device manager?

18. Kn1ghtMare

Kn1ghtMare TS Member

Yes actually, there are 2 yellow marks in the Other Devices menu in the device manager...just noticed that now. What do u suggest I do about that? By that I had this blue screen problem in the past and I had the right video driver installed that I got from the HP site for my model and os. I had the laptop sent to hp to be fixed for an unrelated issue and when I got it back I still had the same problem with coming out of sleep and hybernation....even after they replaced everything with brand new hardware. What should I do? Thanks for ur help eh, I really appreciate it!

19. Tmagic650

No problem:) Glad to help. What are the yellow (!) marks on?

20. Kn1ghtMare

Kn1ghtMare TS Member

Nevermind, I am not getting those mark anymore. It had to do with a scis adapter. I think it is resolved now. I still have the issue with the blue screen and I don't know what else to do. When the blue screen appears, it says at the bottom to look up info on KERNAL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR. I looked it up but didn't find a resolve. I have some more minidump files... do u wanna have a look?

Heres some of my pc info if that helps. I also attached the minidump files to the bottom.

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (x64) Build 9200
    Processor: AMD A4-3305M APU 1.90 GHz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 169B (AMD A55/A60M (Hudson-D2/M2))
    Memory (RAM): 6.00 GB
    Hard Drive: ST640LM000 HM641JI (610,480 MBytes (640 GB))
    Optical Drive: hp DVD-RAM UJ8B1 (DVD+R DL)
    Display Adapter: ATI/AMD Radeon HD 6480G (SUMO) [Hewlett-Packard]
    Audio Adapter: ATI/AMD Family 12h APU - High Definition Audio Controller
    AMD Hudson-2/3/4 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Network Adapter: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8101/2/3 Family Fast Ethernet NIC
    Broadcom 802.11n Wireless Network Adapter (Primary)
    Total Virtual Memory: 11GB

Attached Files:

21. Tmagic650

The minidumps are all the same KERNAL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR, Ntoskrnl.exe... Change the power settings of the laptop so the laptop doesn't go into hibernation or sleep mode. See if the BSOD's stop

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.