blue screen of death!! help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurlyhairedkid

i've had my dell e1705 for about 5 months. for about as long as i can remember having this computer i've gotten blue screens of death, but never thought anything of them. they were always at random times while listening to music or talking on AIM.

about 2 weeks ago i tried to update my video card drivers but i accidentally screwed up while using driver cleaner which disabled my graphics card. because of this i used system restore to return my computer to how it was just 1 hour before i messed it up.

the next morning i turn on my computer to find a blue screen of death. the blue screen said PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and the stop error is 0x00000050 (0xE3179000, 0x00000000, 0x85B83CEA, 0x00000001). what would happen is that the blue screen would pop-up and i'd restart the computer and it'd boot to desktop and i could work normally.

about a week later i turned on my computer and got the blue screen of death. so i restarted it as i normally would only to find another blue screen...and another, and another and another. i finally gave up and booted up the computer into safe mode.

once in safe mode i ran a virus scan, spyware scan and restarted the computer with an error checking scan. The virus scan and spyware scan didn't find anything, but the error checking scan did. the error checking scan temporarily fixed my problem, but when i tried to turn it on the next day, again it didn't work.

however, today i tried running the error scan, but my computer crashed when it finished. now when i restart my computer it goes to the error scan screen and repeats the process of scanning and crashing. the other thing is that i can't boot into safe mode. whenever i try, the computer freezes when it gets to windows\system32\drivers\mup.sys. I don't know what to do anymore and i really need help . i've used system restore twice, uninstalled all programs i've installed in the past 2 and a half weeks, and run numerous error checks to no avail.

so is there anything i can do to fix this? do i have to send my computer in to dell or is it something i can fix on my own. Like i said i have a Dell E1705, Windows XP Media center edition, an ATI RADEON X1400, 1GB of Ram, and an intel core duo processor. if you need to know anything else just ask.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the long message. lol

I too have blue screens on both of my dell computers and when the tech came to my house to replace parts I told tem about the blue screens and they told me they got a new dell not too long ago and had nothing but blue screens problems as well. And the older dell's didnt the reason for this is because now dell uses computers to automaticly program the comptuers they sell and before a person did that not a comptuer. So basicly its a comptuer programing a comptuer. And to get rid of this you need your o/s, driver cd, etc from dell yours might not of had one since its new dell uses the ctrl+f11 feature but dont use it, it is still programed by a computer. If you dont have the cd do what the tech told me to do call dell (1800-624-9896) and get a tech and say "blue screen, code 7, need all original disks" hopefuly this will help, I had nothing but trouble with my dells. Also it might be very hard for you to understand the dell techs there mostly in India which causes a huge language barrier not all the time sometimes you can understand them sometimes you cant. I really hope this helps, if you need anymore info or help just reply

GeekieNick101 said:
to get rid of this you need your o/s, driver cd, etc from dell yours might not of had one since its new dell uses the ctrl+f11 feature but dont use it, it is still programed by a computer. If you dont have the cd do what the tech told me to do call dell (1800-624-9896) and get a tech and say "blue screen, code 7, need all original disks" hopefuly this will help, I had nothing but trouble with my dells.

so all i need to do is call them and just say "blue screen, code 7, need all original disks" and they'll be sent to me? also, when you had a tech come to you, what exactly did he do to fix your computer?

thanks for the response btw.

Well he didnt come to fix the blue screens he came to fix the motherboard on my laptop because it had a short in it AFTER it came back from the dell repair depot they didnt even fix it. The tech even called dell and said it was impossible for them to even miss that one. And well it depends somes they will know what code 7 means sometimes not just say you need the restore disks becuase you dont want to use the built in restore features. The tech said somes they will know what code 7 means sometimes not becuase they are worldwide and some call centers use different codes I guess. But yeah I would say blue screen, code 7, need restore disks and if they dont know what you are talking about just say you need the restore disks

I hope this helps, if you need me to clear anything else up just ask

thanks GeekieNick, i don't need you to clear anything up for me, but do you think that there's anything i can do other than use the reinstall discs? and even when i get the reinstall discs, what should i do? i'm normally pretty knowledgeable with computers, but i've been stumped on this one.

Well when you recieve the restore cd's first back up all your data onto dvds, cds, flash drive, external hardriver, etc then you have to restart your computer enter the disk and if the disk doesnt boot post a new thread since I forget how to do that but it should boot up from the disk from start up mosty likey then go into install a fresh copy of windows delete the partitions and then if there are 2 or more blank ones find the biggest space one and click to put a fresh copy of windows in then you have to wait awhile then it will isntall it then you have to install the chipset drivers, video, sound, mouse, ethernet, wireless, modem, etc and the laptop software and the dell quickset then your done.

Also I'm not really sure how else to really fix it personaly I would jsut restorse windows ususally that or someone else on techspot with more knowledge can hep you im sorry about that or you can call dell tech support and they can troubleshoot it and possibley find out what is causing it and save you all the time and trouble of restore your o/s. I hope this helps but yeah ususaly the nice 24/7 235 tech support can help also did you make any recent software or hardware changes right beofre you got blue screens this is a key factor also dell will ask you the same question so will tohers on tech spot.

I hope this clears this up somewhat but an easy appoarch to end the blue screens would be to restore your o/s but you can also fix it as well. Also im not saying you wont get any blue screens once you restore your o/s eiher but ususaly not as many or none at all it just depends. Well I'm sorry about me not being the greatest help hopefuly another member of tech spot or dell tech support could help you better than I can.

Good Luck

GeekieNick101 said:
Also I'm not really sure how else to really fix it personaly I would jsut restorse windows ususally that or someone else on techspot with more knowledge can hep you im sorry about that or you can call dell tech support and they can troubleshoot it and possibley find out what is causing it and save you all the time and trouble of restore your o/s. I hope this helps but yeah ususaly the nice 24/7 235 tech support can help also did you make any recent software or hardware changes right beofre you got blue screens this is a key factor also dell will ask you the same question so will tohers on tech spot.

I hope this clears this up somewhat but an easy appoarch to end the blue screens would be to restore your o/s but you can also fix it as well. Also im not saying you wont get any blue screens once you restore your o/s eiher but ususaly not as many or none at all it just depends. Well I'm sorry about me not being the greatest help hopefuly another member of tech spot or dell tech support could help you better than I can.

Good Luck

GeekieNick, it's you've been alot of help, you've told me a way in which i can get my o/s cds if i need to:D i also don't expect to never get blue screens again, i got them before this happened (though normally while doing random stuff) and expect to get them when everythings fixed:haha:

right before i got these screens i was updating my graphics card drivers, but screwed up while using driver cleaner, thus disabling my graphics card. i used system restore to get my computer back to how it was before and the next morning i got my first bsod on start up.

since then i've taken off all the programs that the system restore brought back and ticonnect, which i installed the day before the errors began.

GeekieNick101 said:
Status: Won't Boot into Windows or Safe mode : so it wont even boot up??? in windows

no i can't, it's terrible. i'm on my sorry excuse for a desktop right now trying to figure out how to fix this.

oh wow thats is so sad having a $1,000 laptop you cant even use I would call dell then if you tried rebooting it serval times and still getting a blue screen and I have a question for you is this your first dell or have you had others, because the reason is becuase I know other brands can get blue screens but let me just tell youthis I have a gateway thats 4 years old I dont even recalling it EVER getting a blue screen they only thing that has happened in it was the moniter blew out and I bought the 3 year coverage so they sent me a new one. And I own 2 dell one desktop one laptop well I DONT even have the first ones I bought they are both replaced from dell becuase they had so many problems
I hope you get your laptop fixed that is really sad having a laptop that isnt even half a year old and you can even use it and I know it isnt your fault I know so many people on techspot and friends personaly that own dells and it isnt fun just put it that way

GeekieNick101 said:
oh wow thats is so sad having a $1,000 laptop you cant even use I would call dell then if you tried rebooting it serval times and still getting a blue screen and I have a question for you is this your first dell or have you had others, because the reason is becuase I know other brands can get blue screens but let me just tell youthis I have a gateway thats 4 years old I dont even recalling it EVER getting a blue screen they only thing that has happened in it was the moniter blew out and I bought the 3 year coverage so they sent me a new one. And I own 2 dell one desktop one laptop well I DONT even have the first ones I bought they are both replaced from dell becuase they had so many problems
I hope you get your laptop fixed that is really sad having a laptop that isnt even half a year old and you can even use it and I know it isnt your fault I know so many people on techspot and friends personaly that own dells and it isnt fun just put it that way

thanks for the concern, that's pretty much exactly how i feel. my mom uses dells for work and she swears by them and our desktop is a dell that i've rarely had problems with. i've tried to reboot my computer way more than several times, but to no avail. for almost the past week i haven't been able to use my computer.

i've pretty much decided that my next computer won't be a dell, but i really would like to fix my machine. i'm only 16 years old so i don't exactly have a thousand dollars to just throw around :eek:

so i guess will see what happens and hopefully i'll get everything fixed:D

thanks again for your help

I'm also 16 and the area I live in I leve high school for hours we have a tech school where for can go to and I'm going for electronics and yeah we work with comptuer also and even the teacher insults dells but then again the high school I go to thats all they have is dells and I never got a bsod on them just freezeeing and I loose my entire project and have to redo it isnt that fun! But anyways I really hope I helped you somewhat I know some dells are good mostly the older ones before they used robots to do their work. But the newwer ones arent good. And I also spent thousands on dells and I usually buy a new comptuer every 102 years but the dell they make now days you would almost have to buy 3-4 new ones a year lol it seems the problems with them start after a few months. Atleast your laptop doesnt turn itslef on when it wants to lol like my last one did it was so scarey. Well I really hope I helped you somewhat I know i'm not the best of help but I know a lot about dell with bsod's from lots and lots of experience. Well I really hope you get it fixed and if you call dell for your restore disk you should have them within the next bsuiness day if you call before 5 pm eastern time

you've helped me geekienick, i'm actually talking to a dell rep right now, but over there dell chat online system thingy. lol

GeekieNick101 said:
Also go to www.dellbatteryprogram.com your battery is mosty likey recalled due to fire hazards because E1705 is listed in the battery recall

i've already made sure that my battery isn't on the recall list. it's not, but i'm not really sure if i should be happy or not. lol

Well thats a good thing that it isnt a fire hazard, do a follow up and if you have any more problems just feel free to ask. Thats strange that the bsod stay on a=everytime you restart normaly it should go away well I hope you get it fixed best of luck

thanks again geekienick. i finished my session with the tech support, but they weren't able to help me at this time because they were updating their server. the rep i talked to though said that he/she would send me the installation disks which is good.

i need to go, but i'll be back on tomorrow to see if anyone else responded. thanks again geekienick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back