TechSpot

Blue Screen of Death. HELP!

By disbarred
Feb 27, 2008
  1. A few times a day my computer randomly restarts for no reason leaving these erro messages:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: d1
    BCP1: 00000020
    BCP2: 00000002
    BCP3: 00000000
    BCP4: 8FCD01C2
    OS Version: 6_0_6000
    Service Pack: 0_0
    Product: 256_1

HELP PLEASE!!! I am running vista ultimate with p4 3.8HT and 3GB of RAM.

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Go to MsConfig (through run) and tell me if Terminal Services is running. If it is, it may be the problem, please untick it, and restart your computer
    Also do all Windows security updates online.
    Another option - turn off any hardware overclocking

3. disbarred

disbarred TS Rookie Topic Starter

Update

Terminal Services was running so I unchecked the box and restarted the computer. All the window updates have been installed and I am not overclocking anything to begin with. 5 minutes later my computer restarted randomly again with this error message.

BCCode: d1
    BCP1: 00000004
    BCP2: 00000002
    BCP3: 00000001
    BCP4: 80633709
    OS Version: 6_0_6000
    Service Pack: 0_0
    Product: 256_1

4. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

If I am reading this correctly you have an 0xD1 error and these are usually caused by a device driver trying to access an address they have no business doing thus causing crashes.

Without more information we can't tell what driver it is or even if it is truly a device driver. Have you checked your Event Viewer?

5. disbarred

Yes

What am I supposed to be looking for in the event viewer?

6. kimsland

At the time of the crash, are there any events that tell you any information?

Also can you go to %windir%\Minidump (C:windows\minidump) and attach any minidumps that were created today or yesterday.

7. disbarred

No events in the even viewer tell me anything new. I was having a problem with my printer earlier this month connecting it to the wireless print server, but my computer was messing up before that.

I can't upload any mini dumps cause of the size restrictions to this site. mine are all 135kb and this site allows a 100kb limit. I have uploaded them to my gmail account. Let me know what you wanna do. Sorry, I don't know that much about computers, just enough to get by.

8. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

Are you saying that every indivual one of your minidumps is 135kb?

9. disbarred

yes, actually 137kb

10. kimsland

11. disbarred

How can I view them so I can post the text to you guys. I don't know how to open a DMP file.

12. kimsland

Please refer to my little table above, and confirm you are attaching the minidump

13. peterdiva

peterdiva TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,088

The size of a minidump can vary. 135kb isn't unusual. Zip them up using Winzip.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.