Blue Screen of Death in Win XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweet_rhonda

I am getting the Blue Screen of Death and I have tried everything I know. I have used DriveErase Pro thinking that maybe if I wiped my hard drive clean and started over, this would help. I used my system restoration disk that I made when I first purchased my computer back in 2005, chose the recovery partition option. This still hasn't helped..I am still getting the Blue Screen of Death. I am fed up and about to give up..lol! I have no clue about all the technical sides of BSOD, the stop codes..etc. I have written them down in hopes that someone can help me and get me out of this mess!!

0X0000007A (0XE17147E8 0XC000000E 0XBF8F4D9A)

Win32k.sys BF8F4D9A base at BF800000

Beginning Physical Memory Dump

A MiniDump would have been created in c:\windows\minidump (hopefully)
You could attach
attach.gif
it to a new reply (inside the new reply you will see the attach symbol, on the little toolbar)

Yeah, if I could actually get to the minidump. Win XP will not load..when my system boots up, it is extremely slow..sometimes Intel Boot Agent something or other comes up on the screen..it will display my MAC address..etc. Then when it is done, it will say no bootable disk..insert boot disk or something. I don't really know what all it says..but I do know it comes up with Intel Boot Agent.

Blue Screen of Death happens from inside Windows (it's a Windows error message)

Are you saying it won't start now?

This could be a faulty HardDrive, or something connected to your computer

I can start up my computer and get it to boot up..like get to the screen that says F2 Bios settings..and then after it gets past that screen..sometimes the Win XP loading screen comes up and sometimes it doesn't..the screen will just completely go black and the hard drive light will be on like it's trying to load..and sometimes I get the Blue Screen of Death before Windows actually gets a chance to finish loading up. Just a while ago, I got another Blue Screen of Death again..this one completely different..

c0000218
Unknown hard error

Beginning Physical Memory Dump

I don't think it actually completes a memory dump though.

Please download and run Memtest on your Ram
And also start with your Xp CD, go to the Recovery console (a black Dos like screen)
Note to get into the Recovery console:
R
1 (don't forget the 1 before enter)
enter

on the command line write: chkdsk c: /r
then enter

Try those both

Also, if these would be any help to you... before my system crashed like this...I had some Spyware, Adware, and some trojans. I would try to run AVG free 8.0, but the virus scan never got a chance to complete it's scan and heal..etc..my system would restart at some point before the scan ever got completed and say your system recovered from a serious error. AVG wouldn't scan in safe mode, it asked to enter something in command prompt or something. I don't know if my computer is so badly infected that my computer can't recover or exactly what is going on. That was the reason I used a Drive Erase disk to erase my entire drive so I could recover the partition and Win Xp files, etc. I actually think I got the Blue Screen of Death a couple times before I attempted to restore my system. Sometimes each stop error screen would have a different set of stop codes or different type error.

Sounds as though the malware has removed or infected some of your system files
Repairing Windows may not work, as there is still malware present

If you can, backup and re-install clean

That's what I have been doing is re-installing the whole Windows and making a recovery partition. First, I run the DriveErase Pro Boot CD that is supposed to wipe your hard drive clean. Then, I run my system recovery disk and you have a choice of press "R" for system recovery options or press "F" for full system recovery with recovery partitions..and I chose "F" since the erase disk erases my entire hard drive and partitions with it. I done the re-install last night..and I know Windows was running fine for 2 hours or longer..and once it was doing Automatic Windows Updates..and updating to Internet Explorer 7..the Blue Screen of Death popped up once again. The BSOD always says something different with it like there is always a different program or something causing it to automatically stop.

Then it must be hardware.

Here's an excellent guide to BenchTest your system
BenchTesting can help by reseating all components internally, and also suggest to unplug many not required components, like floppy drive or PCI 56K modem

As a guess I would say Ram (can still be faulty even though tested) HardDrive or PowerSupply. Or even dust built up, causing excessive heat to the CPU

Yeah, it did have dust build-up inside the case..especially around the fan that cools the CPU. We blew the dust out with those cans of air for pc's before I started attempting to recover the system. My dad has been helping me work on it, he was the one that got the system running fairly stable last night..until the dreaded screen came back again when I was trying to run Windows Update. I don't have the patience for solving these type of problems because I don't get a clear answer what is going on with the BSOD, and I really don't want to have to take it and have it put in the shop for a pc tech to work on it if it is something quite simple I can fix myself. Sometimes the BSOD will say KERNEL_IN_PAGE_ERROR or KERNEL_STACK_ERROR..something like that...and the stop codes at the bottom of the screen are not always the same..if I had a more specific idea of where to go and what the problem was..I would feel so frustrated and helpless

I have been told by my instructor at school that I have bad sectors on my hard drive from what it sounds like to him. I done Chkdsk and it even said in the scan I had some bad clusters and was trying to replace them. I really don't have a lot of money to spend on a hard drive, and the one inside my computer has Serial ATA cabling..does that really matter? Would it prevent you from going back to the older, ribbon style cabling and hard drives?

Hey, just wanted to let you know that I have gotten my computer fixed. I hadn't logged in the last few weeks to let everyone know how I came out with the problem. I had to get a new hard drive..and now my system is doing just fine! Anyway, thanks to everyone that tried to help me! :)

Rhonda

Good news

I didn't reply after my comment of either Ram or HardDrive or Powersupply
Because ZeroXerxes replied with just replace it. Which is what I would have said (possibly in different words)

Anyway all done :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back