Blue screen of death issues on Oblivion

I looked at a few of the topics concerning a similar issue, but I think mine is caused by a specific driver. The blue screen of death happens randomly while playing. The thing is, I'm pretty sure it's caused by one of my drivers but I don't know which one it is. I attached a zip file containing some minidump files so if someone could tell me what's wrong then I'd appreciate it.

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    183.1 KB · Views: 2
These BSOD's point to a memory fault , your games Oblivion & Morrowind and your Sound Blaster.

First I would run through this guide to check out your memory sticks and then check you have the most up to date drivers for your sound device. If you get more BSOD's then post the logs.

Power off the PC and remove the mains connection, always touch the metal of the case with your hands to avoid any static electricity from causing component damage. Remove all your memory modules. Clean the contacts with a soft rubber (up and down not from end to end) then insert just one module and reboot to test for any change in performance. Repeat this for every module one at a time. Obviously if you only have one module this cannot be done, but you should still remove and clean the module and reseat it and test.

If you only have one stick download this to test it. http://www.memtest.org/

You need to scroll down the page until you see the three blue screenshots. Just below is the list of downloads for Memtest86+ V4.10. Click on Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)and save to your desktop, When the download is complete right click the file and select Extract Here and burn the image to a CD. In windows 7 right click the extracted file, select Open With, then select Windows Disc Image Burning Tool then follow the prompts. For all other versions of windows (if you do not have an ISO burner) download this free software. http://www.isoimageburner.com/

Boot the PC into the Bios setup and set the CD/DVD drive to 1st in the boot sequence. Insert the disk in the drive then reboot and the disc will load into dos. Leave the test to run through at least 5 cycles.

The memtest will not be 100% accurate but should easily detect any major faults.

I had a feeling it was my sound card ever since it started giving me issues like the driver wouldn't update and stuff. It's a Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer. I looked up ways of fixing my problem and I finally fixed it. Got the latest driver installed and things seem to be going well so far. If anything else happens then I'll try the memtest thing. Thanks.

Back