Blue Screen of Death... Please help :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
A week ago I shut down my computer for the night and when I went to try to start it up in the morning I got the bloue screen of death. It just keeps on trying to start up, I get the blue screen, and then it restarts itself. I tired doing the tutorial on this site but my computer keeps on freezing at the first step. I can not select install, repair or quit. The only way I can stop it is to press the power button on the front of my tower. What does that mean? And how can I fix my computer? Thanks in advance!

Sorry it is Windows XP and I will write the errors down when I get home and post them. I can remember it telling me to run Check Disk on F but I don't have an F drive.

OK well, is there any way you can get and download a program called Hiren's Boot CD? This has a bunch of different helpful tools on it, one of the ones I want you to use if you can get it is the Hard Drive tools, and use the correct one that pertains to your hard drive.. Also go to Testing tools and test the RAM..

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually

* Attach in your next post.

How do I get to My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files when I can't get the computer to do anything? It restarts itself like 5-10 seconds after it shows the blue screen with all the writing on it.

There is one test that you might be able to run because it engages almost the minute you boot-up: Memtest.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than what is listed but either one should work. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Step1 - Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. The only exception is if you start getting errors before 7 Passes then you can skip to Step 2.

There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Step 2 – Because of errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results or if you can't even run this then take out one stick of RAM. If it doesn't crash your system then run memtest on it. If your system crashes then install the other stick and re-boot with jus this stick.

* You also could try slaving your harddrive in another system and run harddrive diagnostics on it as well as virus scans.

I got the Hirens Boot CD. What do I do with it? I am new to this and do not know what I need to do. Thanks

When you burned it did u make it a bootable image and not a Data disc right? if so, on startup go into the BIOS (Del, F2, depends on your motherboard) make sure it is set in the Boot Device Order to boot off of the CD/DVD drive before the hard drive. Put the disc in the cd drive, boot to it, and run the Hard drive and RAM test on the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back