Blue Screen of Death? Please Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not exactly as advanced with computers as I initially thought. Eariler today my computer was shutting off and on. The first time, I was surfing a sports news website(KFFL) and it restarted on me. Then when it came back up, it restarted again about a minute after it past the traditional "Welcome" screen (on an Windows XP Professional system). From then on I had the same problem. Restart, come back on, restart, come back on....I don't know why.

Nevertheless, I went to turn off "Automactically restart" in the avanced properties so I could see the error. At that point I recieved this error towards the bottom of the screen:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x80557197, 0xF8FDE7A0, 0x00000000)

Extra Info: I have 2 HDDs and a partitioned drive. I have 2 OSs installed(MediaCenter 2005 and XP Professional SP1).

Please help!! :dead:

I believe a stop error is a driver problem. The last time I had one I ended up reinstalling XP. You could try booting up in safe mode. If you can't boot up in safe mode try booting from your XP CD and doing a repair. If you do get into windows you may want to check this setting.
Disabling the restart on system failure feature:
Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab.
Under Startup & Recovery, click Settings.
Under System Failure, uncheck the box in front of Automatically restart.

alphnumeric said:
I believe a stop error is a driver problem. The last time I had one I ended up reinstalling XP. You could try booting up in safe mode. If you can't boot up in safe mode try booting from your XP CD and doing a repair. If you do get into windows you may want to check this setting.
Disabling the restart on system failure feature:
Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab.
Under Startup & Recovery, click Settings.
Under System Failure, uncheck the box in front of Automatically restart.
I used my WinXP CD to repair it. It went through the installation and now its giving me another error. It won't let me in the desktop now. Right after it goes through the XP Professional Splash(animated bar thingy), it takes me to this BSOD.

A Problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is propertly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF8FC6640, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Right now, I'm using WindowsXP Media Center Edition 2005 to type these messages. I got the space partitioned off and MC2005 is running great(like it's suppose to be). The problem is the XP Pro.

Thanks for your help! MUCH appreicated. :)

Stop errors are a real pain to trouble shoot. If memory serves me correctly a repair didn't work for me ether. I ended up formating and reinstalling windows. I think the problem is an important driver file is corrupted, one that windows needs to boot up. In order to fix it you need to get into windows to delete it, that is if you actually knew what file it was. If you can't boot up into safe mode I think you are hosed. If you go that route you may want to go and get a copy of your boot.ini file from the boot partition. You may have to edit the new one created during the install to get your dual boot back. Which OS did you install first Media center edition or XP? If you installed media center first and XP second you shouldn't have to worry about it or have to edit it after you reinstall XP.

alphnumeric said:
Stop errors are a real pain to trouble shoot. If memory serves me correctly a repair didn't work for me ether. I ended up formating and reinstalling windows. I think the problem is an important driver file is corrupted, one that windows needs to boot up. In order to fix it you need to get into windows to delete it, that is if you actually knew what file it was. If you can't boot up into safe mode I think you are hosed. If you go that route you may want to go and get a copy of your boot.ini file from the boot partition. You may have to edit the new one created during the install to get your dual boot back. Which OS did you install first Media center edition or XP? If you installed media center first and XP second you shouldn't have to worry about it or have to edit it after you reinstall XP.
I installed XP Pro first and then Windows Media Center. Can I get the boot.ini file from the Media Center Edition running? Because I really don't find reformatting too much, but hopefully theres a way I can do it without reformatting....

Edit: I can't get into Safe Mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back