Blue Screen of Death - *** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Velexia

Using "Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure."

I receive this BSOD. It occurs either just before or while the Welcome Screen is loading. My tools for dealing with it are the Windows XP Pro CD and the BIOS. On this thread is some additional information, such as services that are enabled or disabled, etc.

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x3F3F3F3F, 0xF78F04FC, 0XF78F01F8)"​

The SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED bug check has a value of 0x0000007E. This bug check indicates that a system thread generated an exception that the error handler did not catch.

1 The exception code that was not handled
2 The address where the exception occurred
3 The address of the exception record
4 The address of the context record

This problem occurs when a System Preparation (Sysprep) image is created on a computer that uses an Intel processor and is then deployed to a computer that does not use an Intel processor.

This is a possibility, as I am dealing with viruses, and my computer uses an AMD CPU.

If this is the case, the following may work.. (I am going to try it after the CHKDSK /R completes...

Method 2
To work around this issue, run the recovery console by using the Windows XP CD. Then, select the recovery option. To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disk or from the Windows XP CD, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk in the floppy disk drive. Or, insert the Windows XP CD in the CD drive. Then, restart the computer.

Note If you are prompted, click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive.
2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
3. If you have a dual-boot computer or a multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
4. When you are prompted, type the administrator password.

Note Press ENTER if the administrator password is blank.
5. At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
disable intelppm
6. To exit the Recovery Console and to restart the computer, type exit at the Recovery Console command prompt, and then press ENTER.

I've recently tried the "DISABLE INTELPPM" as a kind of stab in the dark, but received this message, which I kind of expected...

"The registry entry for the INTELPPM service cannot be located. Check that the name of the service is specified correctly."

I am currently at a loss, and searching for something else to fix the BSoD problem.

Please help =) ?

Edit: If I use the DISKPART command, would it be possible to create a separate install of windows on it, and from there investigate the original partition/install?

Also, assuming that is viable, the amount of space available is only 59710 MB. Is that enough?

From the recovery console...

CD C:\“system volume information\_resto~1”

The system cannot find the file or directory specified.

COPY _registry_machine_system C:\Windows\System32\Config\System

COPY _registry_machine_software C:\Windows\System32\Config\Software

COPY _registry_machine_sam C:\Windows\System32\Config\Sam

COPY _registry_machine_security C:\Windows\System32\Config\Security

COPY _registry_user_.default C:\Windows\System32\Config\Default

All return: The system cannot find the file specified.

=(

CD C:\“system volume information\_resto~1”

The system cannot find the file or directory specified.
You need to give yourself permission to see that folder
By the way you don't need to see that folder anyway :confused:

Clearing System Restore Points:

Vista / Windows 7

Remove old System Restore Points

• Open System by clicking the Start button
    4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33.jpg
    , right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.
  • In the left pane, click System protection
    18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b.jpg
    . Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  • Under Protection Settings, click the disk, and then click Configure.
  • Click Turn off system protection, click OK, and then click OK again.
Then turn it back on again.

XP:

Clear & Reset System Restore's Cache
Go to Start >> Run - type or copy/paste control sysdm.cpl,,4 and then press Enter
  • Tick on the checkbox - Turn off System Restore on all drives
  • Click Apply
Turn it back 'On' by unticking the same checkbox & click Apply, and then OK

edit

Windows file system32\config\system missing or corrupted
http://www.aade.com/XPhint/XPrecovery.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

You need to give yourself permission to see that folder
By the way you don't need to see that folder anyway :confused:

XP:

Clear & Reset System Restore's Cache
Go to Start >> Run - type or copy/paste control sysdm.cpl,,4 and then press Enter
  • Tick on the checkbox - Turn off System Restore on all drives
  • Click Apply
Turn it back 'On' by unticking the same checkbox & click Apply, and then OK

edit

Windows file system32\config\system missing or corrupted
http://www.aade.com/XPhint/XPrecovery.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

Well, I would have to be able to access the computer at all to get to Start->Run =)

So, how do I give myself permission to see it/edit registry files?

I am currently attempting to make a partition and then install windows onto it, and try to access that partition.

I'm not entirely clear on how partitions work though. Assuming I had 60GB of "free space" and I made a partition of 30GB, I can be assured that none of my files will be deleted by formatting that partition, right?

Read: How to recover your folders/files when Windows won’t boot
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic129757.html

Then

Microsoft's Windows XP Professional Repair Install step by step (* Including Delete Partition)
http://www.windowsxpprofessional.windowsreinstall.com/sp2sp3installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm

Microsoft's Windows XP Home Repair Install step by step (* Including Delete Partition)
http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/sp2sp3installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm

* Warning deleting the Partition will remove all User data and Windows system files

Hmm, I have about 140GB of files I want in the main rig. I have a 2GB flash drive, and this Laptop has 120GB.

The next portion would work if I could get those files out, but... I'm a bit worried that 70 file transfers over the Recovery Console onto a Laptop with only 100GB of free space... isn't a very good option.... Although I suppose it's a start =)

Hmm, I do have a cable and program that I used for transferring files from one computer to another, but I think it involved having access to both computers... Regardless, I'll look into this, thank you ^_^

Alriiiight, I have some awesome news!

I have successfully loaded up windows on my 30GB Partition!

Time to start kicking some Virus Butt!

After doing the 8-step process on the D:\ partition, disabling BIOS cache, and so on, I tried to start up the C:\ partition's Windows XP and again, the BSoD.

I attempted to make an ntbootlog.txt with "Enable Boot Logging" but the BSoD occurs before such a thing can be created.

I managed to take a split-second image with my digital camera as the BSoD flashed during a Safe Mode attempt (it is different than when I disable automatic restart).

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

I just caught an image of the BSoD when trying to start normally, and it mentions no cause for the error at all, just the standard BSoD form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back