Blue Screen of Death

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to try and type this fast before my computer restarts again. I am really just sick and tired of dealing with it, ready to throw it out. The problem is that is keeps restarting randomly... and goes to 'the blue screen of death' with error "page fault in non paged area" and says win32k.sys or ntfs.sys or nothing at all at the bottom of the screen. The computer was running great all day, until i tried to open Add/Remove programs and it restarted. booted back up, tried again and it restarted again...Now it keeps restarting. This all started about a month ago, since then I have reformated a couple times, even tried a new hard drive.. and that didnt fix it. So obveously it is either my RAM Motherboard or Power supply. I updated all my drivers so i dont think that it is that. My question is how do I know which it is, dont really have the money to be throwing around on computer parts if its not going to solve my problem. Please any help would be greatly appreciated. As I work from home, on my computer, and with it restarting through out the day, it makes it difficult. Sometimes the computer will start right up, other times it will start to start and then go to the blue screen. Help!

2.4 gh pen 4 northwood.... 2gb ddr 333 ram.....abit it7 max 2 v.2...turtle beach santa cruz sound card....gforce fx5200 video card.... My boyfriend built the computer about 7 years ago, we are in desperate need of building a new one, just short on cash.

"Page Fault In Non Paged Area" errors are associated with 0x50 errors which are caused by Defective Memory including RAM, L2 Cache (CPU) and Video RAM (Graphics Card), it can also be caused by other pieces Hardware and also Incompatible software.

Try running Memtest86 for your RAM - http://www.memtest.org/
By burning the Pre-built ISO on to a disk and then booting the Disk (having checked in BIOS that the CD or DVD drive is the first bootable option) and start Memtest for about 3-5 hours (Minimum Of 7 Passes) or Overnight would make it a more thorough test.

Since you have already tried a new HDD, try running Prime95 to check your CPU as well.
32bit Version - http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103
64bit Version - http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=205

And post back after this.

Edit: Just posted and saw your reply, Didn't know the Comp was 7 years in this time Optical drives can be going (They might only last between 5-10 years at the most) CPU fans could be going (Since they only run for so many thousands of hours) causing the system to overheat. You might also want to check the temps of your comp - Download this as well, Everest Home Edition - http://majorgeeks.com/download4181.html
This will show you temps of your comp.

7 years old... Yikes! What Operating System are you running? Start by testing or swapping the system ram... When was the last time you reinstalled the Operating System?

7 years old... Yikes! What Operating System are you running? Start by testing or swapping the system ram... When was the last time you reinstalled the Operating System?

Running Win Xp pro w/ SP2. I reformatted about a month and half ago. I am surprised the computer lasted this long, considering how old it is... But I need it to hang in there just a couple more months till He can build a new one!

Ive already checked the temps of the computer and they are perfect. I know the computer is not overheating, the only thing that has not been replaced since the computer was built is the motherboard and the power supply. I have a bad feeling its the motherboard. Oh well if worse comes to worse, I will have to put my HDD into my shuttle PC and run that for a few months. Arg! Also, sorry the computer was built in 2003, my mistake. Still, its time for anew one!

Test the RAM as woody1191 mentions first. Then it could be power supply or motherboard. The optical drive(s) CD/ DVD's can be disconnected for test purposes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back