Blue Screen of death

Status
Not open for further replies.

kakabo123

I can't get my computer beyond this blue screen. error message after the technical information is: ***STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x8A9DF8B0, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000).
Can't reboot for xp cd. can't by pass hard drive to read cd drive. Need help.

As defined by auhma.org -- 0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. I suggest running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions.

* My first best guess is that you either have bad haddrive sectors or a harddrive failing. Is there any way for you to boot into Safe Mode?

Well you can't if you cannot get into Windows. There is one other test that we can at least try that doesn't require even the splash screen loading and that is MemTest. I still think it is your harddrive but at least we can test your RAM to make sure it is stable. You'll need another PC to do this or a laptop.

1. Download MemTest and burn to a CD.

2. Go to your BIOS and place your CD/DVD drive as first bootable. (BIOS will load before the Splash Screen. As soon as your PC starts keep hitting the Delete key until you are in the BIOS)

3. Reboot with the CD already in the drive. The test will take over. This takes a long time.

4. Run for a minimum of 7 passes. There are 8 individual tests per PASS. This takes a long time but well worth it. Many people start it before going to bed and check it in the morning.

5. If you have errors you have corrupted memory that must be replaced. If you have more than one stick of memory you should run this test on each stick to determine if one or all are corrupted.

* If you begin getting errors even before your reach the 7th Pass you can stop it because you know your RAM needs to be tossed without having to go further.

* If that doesn't work or your PC just won't boot at all, take out your harddrive and slave it in another system. Sometimes you can get all your important items such as files, etc., off this way. Save to a falsh drive or burn to a disk.

Then use Seagate Tools (or whatever harddrive you have) and see if you can run both S.M.A.R.T. and Long tests, especially the Long test.

* Keep us up-to-date.

I did change the cd/dvd drive as the first bootable in the boot sequence, however my pc can't read the disc.

I did change the cd/dvd drive as the first bootable in the boot sequence, however my pc can't read the disc.

Okay, for clarification, are you saying that it can't/won't read Memtest on a CD right from the intial boot-up?

Is your harddrive even spinning? Is it making any noise?

It spins and the drive light comes on but I get this message: strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility

first is the cd rom which I have checked and the second is the hard drive which I have unchecked. I have a dell dimension 4600.

"I went to my pc's manual and cleared the cmos using the jumper. problem still exist."

Assuming you put the jumper back to its original position, then either your cd player is defective, your boot cd is defective, or your Bios is fragged, or some other problem exists like failing psu or bad cpu.

The easy things to check, provided you have some buddies, is to swap out the cd player and also try another boot cd.

If those don't work, then it is likely shop time if you feel a hundred bucks is worth spending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back