Blue screen of death

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, This is my 1st time here and as you could guess I am in trouble. running windows XP pro and my system was getting a bit slow so i ran a clean up "auslogic" then ran "bugdoctor" and the system crashed.

When I re booted it gets to the point of loading windows with the blue bar creeping across then it dissapears and all i have is a black screen no curser no nothing. just sits there.

Re booted, changed the the boot disk priority in the bios set up to the cd drive and booted from my windows cd (hoping to do a repair) and it tries to load, takes a long time and I get a blue screen as follows:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent amage
to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart
your computer. If this screen appears again, follow
these step:

check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is
identified in the stop message, disable the driver or ckeck
with the manufacturer for driver updates.Try changing video
adapters.

check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable
BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need
to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your
computer, press F8 to select Advanced startup options, and then
select safe mode.

Technical infomation;

*** stop : 0X0000007E (oXc0000005, oxF78360BF, oXFC82208, oXf7c81F08)

*** pci.sys - Address F78360BF, base at F782F000, Datestamp 3b7d855c

Been doing a little research and this seems quite common. I think I have a registry problem. Clean up deleted something it shouldnt have (or rather I did). Some research suggests downloading a "registry fix". Problem is My PC wont go any further than the blue screen. Cant fix anything if it wont boot up.

Mashed F8 and tried all the safe mode boots and no luck.

Am I screwed?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Do you have your Windows OS disk because you most likely need to do a Windows Repair. Anytime you mess with the registry you must be very cautious.

Secondly, things like Bug Doctor are often filled with their own malware. Since you were slow before it is highly likely you were already infected. My suggestion is that you go to the Virus & Malware forums here and read the stikies posted by Julio especially the 8 Steps.

One way you can access your harddrive is to slave it to another system and access it that way to run the 8 Steps, etc.

The last step is to do a reformat but, again, that is a last resort.

* What security software do you have?

Do you have your Windows OS disk because you most likely need to do a Windows Repair. Anytime you mess with the registry you must be very cautious.

Secondly, things like Bug Doctor are often filled with their own malware. Since you were slow before it is highly likely you were already infected. My suggestion is that you go to the Virus & Malware forums here and read the stikies posted by Julio especially the 8 Steps.

One way you can access your harddrive is to slave it to another system and access it that way to run the 8 Steps, etc.

The last step is to do a reformat but, again, that is a last resort.

* What security software do you have?

Thanks for the reply mate. I do have the Windows cd, but it won't load. I choose to boot from the cd, and it crashes with the BSOD error i posted above.

When trying to load windows normally, or in safe mode, or into a dos prompt, I simple get a blank screen, no blinking cursor, just blank. The monitor is still active, but nothing happens.

I'm not overly worried about a format as my son has set the system up with a windows partition and a data partition, so i have nothing of importance stored on the windows drive.
My main issue is, what would cause these issues, especially with the windows os cd?

I had an issue once before with my bios boot priorities getting changed after a windows update. Is it possible that something in my bios has been changed, or an IRQ clash has been caused or something similar?

Thanks in advance.

0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues.

As you can tell the possible causes of this error are across the spectrum which makes it difficult to pin down. What concerns me is if the registry has been corrupted. I also am concerned about Bug Doctor. If I read you correctly these issues didn't occur until you Utilized bug Doctor and Auslogice, right?

Thats correct, the system was working well, just slow, before i used these programs.
Now after using them, i can't boot into windows, i just get a black screen, and the windows installer BSOD's on me.
I'm a little confused as to how it can be a driver issue, if the windows installer can't even load.
Thanks mate,
-Tom

Notice how it said "some software issues." I think your main issue lies with those two latest installs plus your registry seems suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back