Blue screen of death

By stevearno
Feb 4, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. using windows 7 ultimate

my sister brought down her PC a few months back ..... it was shutting down ....randomly

( turned out it was over heating ,and cutting out due to having 50ft of fungi growing from the heatsink fan )

when I took the fan out to look at it .... I damaged the pins on the CPU .... I replaced from a 6 core to 4 core ... of course checking the board was compatible with the new CPU ( it was ...have told you just incase this is part of the problem )

I gave her the PC back ... and it appeared in my house again this morning with a note about the screen of death

I switched it on earlier to look at the error messages ( as follows ) ...desktop did appear , but shut down happened and also I think 'chkski screen '... it then booted into safe mode automatically... so I shut down

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 50
    BCP1: FFFFF8A10094D690
    BCP2: 0000000000000000
    BCP3: FFFFF80002EB1F00
    BCP4: 0000000000000005
    OS Version: 6_1_7600
    Service Pack: 0_0
    Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\020413-24187-01.dmp
    C:\Users\patrica\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-40703-0.sysdata.xml

then I done some researching using our friend 'GOOGLE' ...... to see what the issue was .... but when I have gone to turn it on again , it will not boot to desktop or will it go into safe mode .....

it asks me to REPAIR using installation disk , but when I put the disk in ... and clicked enter to continue .... nothing happens and the circle of screens , continuously taking round in a loop ...to the repair screen again...

I then went to boot menu , and booted straight from drive ...... LOADING windows files ( from install disc ) ...bar appeared on bottom as if new installation

then I get another blue screen asking me to boot in safe mode , which I can't do

file error on this blue screen is CLFS.SYS

I am going to check on the hardware , as I had to pull it all out ( 2 months previously ) ...just to see what the mother board was .....

I initially thought it was hardware ( reason for long winded story at the beginning ) ....... but I think it is a software issue now , ....

so in summary ....

how do I install windows again if it won't let me or will it let me into safe mode .... I can get into boot,bios etc etc

also is there anyway of backing up the WORK files on her PC( there important ) .... without having to take the hard drive out , and put in my PC ..... to import the files on to one of my hard drives

thanks in advance , and if you need anything else ..please advise ( please note I can't get into the PC anymore )

steven
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,673   +152

"also is there anyway of backing up the WORK files on her PC( there important ) .... without having to take the hard drive out , and put in my PC ..... to import the files on to one of my hard drives"...
    In this case, no... Seems like a hardware issue to me, if you can't start a Windows re-install normally. It may be a bad optical drive issue
  3. stevearno

stevearno Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

thanks
    Tmagic650

for the reply ....

I managed after leaving it for a while ... to boot from installation CD .... by managing this time to get into the boot screen

I think what happened was there was a memory dump , which dumped files needed to boot windows , it also appears that AMD drivers were lost as well..... giving the illusion of software issue .. when it is probably hardware..( after fresh install )

I think the hard drive is on the way out ( or maybe a slim possibility RAM ...)

windows is installed and the PC is accessible .....

I manged to get important files on to a few USB keys , after firstly using the repair option for windows , to boot windows using the hard drive to get at the files

I think the PC will run for another month before the HD needs to be replaced ( from past experience )

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.