Blue screen on boot (cant find answer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i needed to format the HD on a 3-4 yr Dell machine due to viruses and junk, so i did what i normaly do - insert the win xp sp2 cd and make it boot from the cd rom drive. I get to the select which partition you want it on bit but the hard drive isnt actualy listed and wont allow me to go any further.

i took the cables from my working machine and used them but no difference, so i then took out the HD and installed it to my working (also Dell) machine and formated the drive through that one instead which went without any issues.

I then installed the HD back to the non working machine and booted from the hard drive - it gets to the stage where the blue line goes across the windows logo screen and then blue screens with the error Stop: oxoooooo7B (oxf7a40524, oxcoooo34, oxoooooooo, oxoooooooo)

I went into F12 to check if the drive is being recognised and it was listed (name, size) everything was there??

I have read on other bloggs and forums to try to use XP pro as it has a better pool of drivers at startup which could help the situation - i tried it but again it doesnt seem to make any difference it still blue screens - i tried re-formating with XP Pro but it cant find the partition or drive to install the OS.

I then tried with another Hard drive from my Working machine which already has the OS installed but again gets to the load up screen and then Blue screens again.

The funny thing is if i install that same drive into my working machine its recognised straight away and i can access the drive etc.

It just doesnt make sense to me why one machine with the exact same OS can see and write to a drive and another doesnt see it (or any drives for that matter)

Today im going to download the Hard drives driver(if there is one) to a floppy disk and when booting from the XP Disk there is an option to press F6 and i think F2 to install the HD's drivers Just seems weird that i need to do this???

Can anyone please please put me out of this misery and explain to me why in hell this is happening - im working to resolve since Sunday the 18th of January.

Go to the Dell site, enter your Service Tag # and post the computer details, ie, hard drive type, etc.

CCT thanks - i managed to narrow the issue down and find something on the forum that hits the nail on the head (havent tried yet) but it just sounds right. here it is (Oh cant post a link yet) vb/topic18329.html

But thanks for taking the time to reply!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back