Blue screen when installing XP- help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm really hoping someone can help me, I'm just about at the end of my wick!

I'm using Windows XP Home on a 2 year old system. It has 512MB RAM and an Asrock P4i65G motherboard. The only devices attached to the system are CD drive, keyboard, mouse and monitor.

Without warning, my computer failed to re-boot. It seemed to be stuck in a rebooting error- I could get to a 'windows has encountered an error' screen and given the option of starting normally, in safe mode, last know good configuration etc. At this point, the USB ports would freeze up and I couldn't select any of the options, although I could get into the BIOS..

I plugged in a PS2 keyboard, which worked so far as it didn;t freeze up like the USB one did. I could select safe mode, but all of the options just took me back into the same re-booting loop. I changed the hard drive for a different one out of a working PC and allowed me to start windows, but went to chkdsk and froze up at the end of the check.

I also tried changing the RAM stick and changing the motherboard with a new one of the same make and model. The same error occurred, even with a different hard drive, RAM and motherboard.

At that point I formatted the original hard drive and tried to reinstall Windows. it gets to the device driver stage of the installations and then I get a blue screen that seems to indicate a problem with one of the audio or video drivers. i can't get any further than this in the install.

The stop error code is as follows:

STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0XF87986FE, 0XF89919CC, 0XF89916C8)

sysaudio.sys- Address F87986FE base at 18792000 dateStamp 47cffdab

How can I bypass or disable the driver in order to reinstall windows, or is there another hardware problem it could be? Any advice greatly appreciated!

tazical said:
...I changed the hard drive for a different one out of a working PC and allowed me to start windows, but went to chkdsk and froze up at the end of the check....

...At that point I formatted the original hard drive and tried to reinstall Windows. it gets to the device driver stage of the installations and then I get a blue screen that seems to indicate a problem with one of the audio or video drivers...

You were on the right track to test the HDD, however, you failed to implement a solid test :). If that other HDD had a pre-existing Windows installation which was installed on another PC that has specifications (especially the motherboard) which are unlike your own, you were bound to experience issues. Either try to format and install Windows freshly on another HDD, or, attempt to test your "original" HDD with one of the utilities here.

It may also be worthwhile to test that Windows CD on another PC if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back