Blue Screen when starting graphic demanding application. Graphics Card dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiorym

Hello Everyone!

I'm having a issue here, that I think is hardware related. Every time I start a graphic intense program (like a game) it starts, and after a couple of second of game-play, or video, the screen goes black, switch back to the application for a second or 2, goes black again ... etc, for 3-4 cycles. It then proceed to give me a a blue screen and memory dumb.

I am unsure why it does this. I've rebooted, updated my driver, reverted my PC to a build that is several day old, to no effect.

I've tried to read the minidump, but I am fairly clueless when it comes to that. So here it is. There Is 4 dumps in that file.

I also got the info on the latest crash here :

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 3084

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA8009D4C4E0
BCP2: FFFFF8800FF6DA20
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 000000000000000D
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\041110-30342-01.dmp
C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-44600-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
**** Removed to meet forum rule*****

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Can some be nice and help me out here?

If any more information is needed, I'd be more then happy to give them.

Thanks Alot !

Eric

Attachments

• 4 Dumbs.zip
    173.8 KB · Views: 1
All four errors are the same 0x116: VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE
Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.

In all four the same Nvidia graphics driver nvlddmkm.sys was cited as the cause of your system crashes. This driver comes up a lot regardless if it is XP, Vista, or Windows 7.

Try the following:

A. Completely uninstall your graphics card drivers including physically uninstalling the card itself. Rest the card and reinstall your drivers, et. al.

B. Check your BIOS and take note of how yopur video card is recognized. One person's problem was that his BIOS set it as PCI rather than PCI-Express and once corrected all was fine. You might want to check the voltage while you are at it.

C. Update the drivers:

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper (both have free versions; make sure the version will work with your OS) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper. If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

Allright!

I've been toying around with my 2 graphic cards and it appear one of them is totally dead. With what you just said, the 2nd card might be affected by a software issue and it may be solvable! That is good news, I'll try these tomorrow and pray!

Many thanks!

Hello Again!

I've try all the one listed above and all of them failed. I'm starting to believe this is hardware damage, and not software issues....

Whenever the memory load raise on the on the card, the temperature goes up a bit the fan usage goes up a bit, then the memory load decrease to bellow idle level (the screen turns black) and another cycle starts.

Any idea as of how to know my card is broken, or am I in the wrong forum?

Thanks Again !

Ok!

I think we have a winner here!

I got a small percentage of the memory test performed, and got a truck load of this:

Error at [1EED48A4]: must be FFFF, but found 7FFF (bits: 1000000000000000). Out of the Direct X test.

Next step tomorrow will be to get my previous version of direct X ((which come to think of it, was recently updated) and and see what happens. Am I on the right track here?

Yes. We have seen many issues with updating drivers and have found that rolling back said drivers or software can bring stability.

Please, continue to keep us informed and glad the VRam test worked. Few people know about it.

Alright!

I reverted back to an earlier version of direct X, ran the memory test, it came back with no error (hurray). I therefor started a a 3d application and what happened:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 3084

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA8007861320
BCP2: FFFFF880049A86C0
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 000000000000000D
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\041410-37362-01.dmp
C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-67829-0.sysdata.xml

And this time I and no time to prevent the failure, it didn't flicker, it just died.

So here's the all list of event leading up to the 1st problem. I recently downloaded a 3d heavy game (MW2, if you must know), updated direct X when required, proceed to play for a bunch of hours in a row. At some point this 1st BSoD (with the whole flicker drama) happened.

Not thinking much of it, I just rebooted in safe mode, looked quickly for problems, found none, and went straight back to gaming (with no problem). Next day came and gaming started again .. after 1-2 hours I got my 2nd BSoD.

As stated above, I updated driver (the whole lot), reverted to a previous Direct X, checked Bios setting, force cleaned my video card drivers and made a clean install, tested my video card memory and I carefully cleaned the part of the card that is inserted into the slot ( sorry I don't know the exact English term)

It seems that when I enter a 3d heavy situation, the memory load raise on the on the card, the temperature goes up a bit the fan usage goes up a bit, then the memory load decrease to bellow idle level (the screen turns black) and another cycle starts.

I am Pretty much out of idea, and I start to think it is heat damage...

Anyone would have a suggestion, to either rule in or rule out this hypothesis?

Also, can someone tell me if the same nasty message is given in the mini dump.

Thanks all !

Attachments

• minidup5.zip
    47.3 KB · Views: 4
Same 0x116: VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE
Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.

Same cited Nvidia graphics driver nvlddmkm.sys as the cause of your system crashes.

You mentioned heat and that is what I thought when reading your description. heat issues will shut down a systems fast. Try this: Open your side panel, take a small fan, and on its lowest settings have it blow air into your system while playing one of your heavier games.

Do you still experience crashes?

Hmm, There is already a fan on the card and it is working. I will try however, I just need to get myself a fan.

Is there another a bit more exhaustive way to test that ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back