Blue Screen with "Machine_Check_Exception"

By CanisSilvermoon
Apr 12, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A problem I have been facing is this blue screen with the words, "Machine_Check_Exception" Error/Stop: 0x0000009c (0x00000000, 0x805535f0, 0xb2000000, 0x1040080f)

Its the same message everytime, and it happens randomly it seems so far. I really took alot of time researching what I could about this error. I know it regards hardware errors and my system is generally new. I took the time to memtest my RAM and then check out my harddrive and everything checks out alright. And I have spent hours reading about trying to figure out these mempry dump files but they really are over my head. I am now trying to turn to the experts for help.

Since its an hardware issue I might suspect that its an faulty product somewhere but I really don't know where to begin and hope I can get some feedback from my minidump files. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

All your minidumps crash with a bugcheck of 9C.

You do indeed have some kind of hardware failure.

0x0000009C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

You should disconnect anything not required to run your system. Just leave mobo/psu/cpu/1 stick of ram/hard drive/videocard.

See if your system still crashes. If it does, it has to be one of those components that is faulty. If you`re sure that your ram and hard drive are ok. That only leaves the mobo/psu/cpu/video card.

It really is a case of elimination. If your machine is still under warranty, you should take it in and have it looked at by the vendor you bought it from.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:
  3. CanisSilvermoon

CanisSilvermoon Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Yeah I knew the 0x0000009C is an hardware issue, but I was just curious to know if in the minidumps it would lead me to a certine direction of what I could troubleshoot, otherwise I get to play with everytyhing manually. But thanks for your help. :)
  4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +19

I`m afraid I can`t pipoint which hardware is faulty. If I were to guess, I`d say probably the mobo or cpu, but that would only be a guess.

Regards Howard :)
  5. shajivarughese

shajivarughese Newcomer, in training

Machine_check_exception

I have the same issue too. I do notice one common denominator in all the posts which is 3 letters- A M D. i have yet to see one with intel. I wonder if that’s the issue here…!
    i just tried a few different tweaks in the BIOS. i have an ASUS A8V socket 939 MB with amd 64 3500 system. i overclocked it 5% from the BIOS and ever since the machine runs fine. i get the BSOD now once a week now vs everyday.
    i don't run any games... just regular email/word/excel etc..
    please let me know if anyone has pinpointed it to any hardware yet.

thx
    Shaji
    :knock:
  6. HelixSoft

HelixSoft Newcomer, in training

Same problem here. So shajivarughese, here is the first Intel :D . It's a Celeron, not a Pentium I admit (if that's you were referring to), but an Intel nevertheless. I have the same problem but I'm not 100% sure it is processor or RAM related. I think it has something to do with caching, as the problem pops-up when I use software that needs to cache data. If you have any suggestions, they are more than welcome as I have pending projects that need finalizing and I do not have time or money for that matter for upgrades or major hardware changes.

Thanks
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.