TechSpot

Blue screens are ruining my life!

By Siyko
Mar 20, 2007
  1. Hi. I recently installed vista, and although I do love it, I am getting frequent bluescreens. It seems to happen more when I'm playing a game, but that might be unrelated, or its just related to high CPU usage or something.

I get different messages for the bluescreens, the most frequent ones are BAD_POOL_HEADER and IRQL_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL. The former first made me think of hard drive error, but they have never had a problem in the past. I switched the power connectors to the hard drives on a hunch, but it solved nothing.

The second error makes me think something's wonky with the drivers.

I ran two diagnostics-
    vista memtest (restarts into 16 bit app), no errors found
    GRC Spinrite, ran twice, both times it gave an error and did not complete.

Specs:

Windows Vista (64 bit)
    DFI Lanparty UT nforce 4
    Athlon 64 3200+
    Geforce 6800GT
    SB Audigy 1
    Logitech Mx518 mouse
    Logitech G15 Keyboard

I am running latest manufacturer provided drivers for all hardware, including Setpoint and the keyboard software.

It MIGHT be worth noting that the keyboard profiling software has errored out a few times.

In device manager, everything looks fine except for three in 'other devices':

-Multimedia Controller
    -Multimedia Video Controller
    -Unknown Device

All 3 are disabled, and in driver details, it says "no files have been loaded for this device". I assume they can't cause a problem in this state, can they?

Here are the .dmp files from my last 5 crashes, I cannot seem to open them, but perhaps they will provide some insight:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VEWZ12JN

Thanks very much for any help, or advice on where to look.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.