TechSpot

Blue Screens during Games. Help needed

By zhivkot
Oct 18, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm getting blue screens (sometimes), while I play(only), and my PC reboots(always) after a strange sound lasting 2-4 seconds.

or something like that.

My PC is:
    GB EP35-DS3R, Q6600 at stock, 2X2GB 800mhz at stock, GB 4850 512mb at stock, 500GB Seagate, 550W Chieftec.

The video card's temperature is ok - 75 degrees Celsius max. The hottest q6600 core is 56 degrees Celsius. The motherboard temperature is 42 degrees celsius. I ran memtest for 1 hour - no errors.

I have the latest video and audio drivers and I'm almost sure that there is no problem with the video card, because there it's 3 months old - I had another 4850 but it was defected. So i think my PSU is the problem. Or maybe the CPU..i'm confused.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance! Any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED.

p.s. Sorry for my English, it's my second language.
  2. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,288   +7

How old is your computer? Since when have you been experiencing these problems? Did you make any changes to your hardware before having these issues?
  3. zhivkot

zhivkot Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

It's one yeard old, except the Video Card which is 3 months old. (Which I changed because of overheating and bad memory) I've been having these problems for 2 weeks or so. I clean my PC every month. I haven't made any changes before experiencing these problems. After 30 minutes I'm going to run PRIME 95 to test the CPU and the Memory again, while I'm watching F1.
  4. Ritwik7

Ensure that you have your memory in the first two slots for maximum stability. Try and swap your sticks and see if you experience any problems running them one at a time.

It would also help if you attach the minidump to your post for someone here to analyse it.
  5. zhivkot

My sticks are in slots 1 or 3 I think, so it can work in dual channel. I'll try with one stick tomorrow, because I don't have the nerves to do it today.
  6. Ritwik7

Yeah, that's fine. As long as they're in the same coloured slots.

Hopefully someone will analyse those minidumps and point out where the exact problem lies.
  7. zhivkot

Is it Possible to be a Game problem? I get blue screens only when I play NBA 2K10, but everything is OK when I play GTA IV or PES 2010 Demo. I've been playing GTA IV only for 15 minutes today. (I've played it before and i didn't had problems, but I decided to see if i will have any today). I get the blue screen after ~30 minutes of playing NBA 2K10. Sometimes 20 minutes, sometimes an hour. I don't have any other games to try now.
  8. Ritwik7

That's interesting. I've had a few BSODs with Far Cry 2 before. However, now it seems to be running absolutely fine. I did nothing to sort out the issue. It just fixed itself it seems.

I twice had a BSOD with Crysis in a particular part of a level. I just turned the down graphics quality to Medium for that portion (about 1 minute) and turned it back up again. Did not have any further problems.
  9. zhivkot

And I'm playing NBA2K10 at Medium due to the BSODs, but it doesn't help.
  10. zhivkot

I ran a 7 hour Memtest (till I was sleeping) and there were no problems.

Then I ran prime95. Reboot after 3 minutes. I decided to increase the voltage. From 1.1125 I made it 1.1185. Reboot after 4 minutes. Then I increased it to 1.1250 - 3 Hours of Prime95 without error. I'll run Prime95 before I go to school again. It should work for 6-7 hours. I'll also test if it's okay in games today.

p.s. sorry for the double post.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.