Blue screens on Win 7 Ultimate at erratic times

ZuluShark

Good Evening All from sunny South Africa!!
My first post - so here is hoping that I get it right.
Desktop Details: -
Intel Core 2 Quad - Q8200 @2.33Ghz
4 Gig RAM (3.25 Gig) Usable
32 Bit OS Win 7 Ultimate
I have attached a zipped file of the last 5 dumps.
Thanking one and all in advance.

P.S. Forgot to mention - ran MemTest with 11 passes - no errors found.

Attachments

• 082810-42635-01.zip
    133.9 KB · Views: 2
Four of these minidumps say that crashes happen due to 'memory corruption' citing core OS components

What is the make/model of your motherboard? Graphic card? PSU?

Run memtest again but on each stick individually, sometimes memtest is unable to find any errors even with fault RAM.

BSOD's on Win & Ultimate at Erratic Times

Hi Archean,
First of all, thank you very much for replying to my problem!
1) Memory Modules = 2 x Transcend TS256MLK64V3U, 2GB, STD Module, 240P DDR3 1333 Double Rank, (256Mx64)(128Mx8/9-9-9)(E7).
(In slots 0 and 3) (4 slots on board)
2) PSU = Gigagbyte ODIN 720Watt, Model Name GE-P720A-C2.
3) Graphics Card = Gigabyte HD4770, Model Name GV-R477UD-1GI, ATI Radeon HD 4770/PCI-E 2.0, 1GB GDDR5/128bit, DVI-I-Sub/HDMI.
4) MOBO = INTEL DP45SG
5) CPU = Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q8200, Freq. 2.33Ghz, FSB 1333 Mhz, L2 Cache = 4Mb, PCG 05A, Socket LGA 775, Core 45nm.
6) 2 x 1Terr Seagate Hard Drives
I hope this additional info may help?

Ok, generally Intel boards configure RAM correctly automatically, but just to make sure also check RAM settings in BIOS match exactly with what is stated on the RAM's packaging.

Please update us after you have ran memtest as suggested in my previous post. Regards

Somehow, I ended up double posting, any moderator who may see this, please delete this post. Thanks

Hi Archean,
Just a quick note to let you know that I have checked the RAM against BIOS settings - they are the same. Have tested 1 Mem Module overnight - 12 Passes - No Errors. Will be testing the other module tonight for the same period of time.
Kind Regards,
ZuluShark

Ok, once you have gone through that and there is no errors, also stress test your graphic card with OCCT (including vRAM).

Blue Screens on Win 7 Ultimate at erratic times.

Hi Archeon,

Okay, tested 2nd Memory Module - 20 Passes - No Errors.
Installed OCCT. When I ran it for the first time - the following screen popped up - " Your graphics card does not support Cuda. You need a GeForce 8 or higher. GPU Memtest will be disabled. I ran it on GPU OCCT test - and it memdumped about half way through the one hour test. Have attached the minidump.
Kind Regards,
ZuluShark

Attachments

• 083010-27502-01.zip
    80.4 KB · Views: 1
Can you please post CPUZ dump? Please download CPUZ, then go to About tab, and save it in text format, then attach it with your next post.

Exactly the same error with same code this time around as well with 'memory corruption' as cause.

I am not sure why OCCT is not working with your Radeon 4770 graphic card.

Anyway, please read the following instructions carefully before proceeding with implementing them:

Steps:

Please ensure that you can boot your system in safe mode.

1) Windows Key + R (or go to Start, then click on Run..)
2) Type in 'verifier' and hit enter
3) Make sure 'Create Standard Setting' is selected and hit next
4) Click on 'Select all drivers installed on this computer' and hit Finish
5) Reboot

There is a possibility that your computer will crash on reboot. If this occurs hit F8 when rebooting just before the windows logo screen and select the safe mode boot option. Follow the same steps above but on step 4 choose 'Select driver names from a list'; hit next; check the box next to any driver where the provider is not Microsoft; hit Finish; reboot.

This will slow the performance of you computer a little while enabled but will hopefully catch the driver causing corruption. Next time you crash the blue screen will hopefully say something like "DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION". When this occurs please post your new minidump.

Please note that Driver Verifier will continue to run on every boot up until you run (by going to Start, then to Run):

verifier /reset

Check the Event Viewer also. If you see the blue screen then it's a hardware issue. 7 is very different animal than with the prior OS Client versions. If one hardware isn't working it will shutdown or give you a BSOD no matter what. I ran into this with BAD RAM, BAD ONIC. Once replaced or disabled the issue was gone.

@tipstir

So far all the dumps shows that crashes are happening due to 'memory corruption'. The OP has ran memtest, but found nothing. So I thought of trying another approach, and force the OS to crash in case it is being caused by some driver, perhaps it may give some clues.

@Zulu
One more thing please ensure that there is no dust on motherboard / RAM etc.

Hi Archeon,
Followed the steps and workstation currently running with verifier enabled. Waiting for next dump :approve:

Hi Tipster,

Excuse my ignorance, but what is Bad ONIC? - tried to Google it - all I got was Sonic.;)

(P.S. My whole workstation is spotless - no dust on any components.)

He is probably talking about network interface card (NIC), but I don't think it is directly causing these issues here.

Please do keep things posted about your progress.

Hi Archeon,

Murphy's Law!!
Been running workstation non-stop since last post with "verifier" enabled. So far - no dumps.
Just wanted to keep you in the loop.

Hi Archeon,

Finally another dump. See attached. I clicked on a link in Outlook and as the browser was opening it BSOD'd.
The following also came up in safe mode.
Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\090310-26020-01.dmp
C:\Users\Andre\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-42557-0.sysdata.xml
Did a search for "WER-42557-0.sysdata.xml" - explorer could not find the file.
Minidump attached.

Attachments

• 090310-26020-01.zip
    28.3 KB · Views: 1
Again it is memory corruption ....... cited as the reason, I have to go out but I will dig bit deeper either later in the evening or tomorrow morning. Can you please try to run system with one stick at a time, and see what happens?

Hi Archeon,

A quick question - I am running one Mem Module with Verifier reset.
Would you prefer that I did it with verifier running? It really slows the PC down.
Kind Regards,
Zulu

I think you can turn it off, because its about suspecting RAM being cause of all this.

Hi There!
No BSOD's at all with 1 Mem Module. Have tried both separately. Each for 24 hrs.
Thrown AutoGK, Photoshop, WM Player, MS Office, used Nero, etc. ...... all without any problems.
Mem Module both tested in Slot 0 of Bank 1. Granted, the PC is a tad slower - but not seriously so. Is it possible that Slot 0 in Bank 2 could be the problem? New Mobo still under warranty. Sorry just one more question - due to the sensitivity of the Mem Modules, even though both are exactly the same, is there a possibility that the 2 Mem Modules do not want to run together?
Kind Regards,
ZuluShark

due to the sensitivity of the Mem Modules, even though both are exactly the same, is there a possibility that the 2 Mem Modules do not want to run together?

Usually this happens if two modules are different make/model etc.

Is it possible that Slot 0 in Bank 2 could be the problem? New Mobo still under warranty

You can try Bank one slot 1, and bank 2 slot 1 to test this theory (leaving slot 0 empty on both banks)

Back