Blue screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

PanamaJack

My laptop has been experiencing some BSOD when I play a game but recently when I tried to watch video from ESPN360.com. When I load a game the first time it loads fine and I'm able to play the game (two that I've played are Call of Duty and GTA: Vice City). When I get out of the game and try to launch it again is when I get the BSOD or when the game is minimized to the taskbar and then maximized the BSOD occurs.

Recently, tonight, I went to ESPN360.com to watch some college football games I had to update the plugin to watch the games. Once it finished installing the plugin, I launched the player, it brought up a new browser window and showed progress of loading but a few seconds later the BSOD occurred. This has never happened before today. I had been able to watch games before. Now I cannot avoid the BSOD.

*This happens in both IE7 and Firefox 3.0.3.

The BSOD does not stay up long and I needed someone to take a picture of it, so there were two things that were listed that I could remember from the photo (Blackberry phone):

PAGE_FAULT_NONPAGED_AREA

and

awvid5.dll

I'm going to try to attach a zip file of 13 minidumps (7 doday and 6 that go from 10/2 - 10/29)

Thanks in advance to whomever will look at them and provide some help for me. I'm running XP Home with SP3 and if you need more information I would be happy to help you.

This type of error indicates a memory error in RAM, either system memory or the video card. Since it happens when you are running video, let's assume it's the video card. Is it still under warranty? Try swapping the video card or disabling it and see what happens.

-- Andy

From what I can find out awvid5.dll belongs to PCAnyWhere. Do you have this installed? Also, have you uninstalled Norton AV recently?

BugCheck 10000050, {e21f7000, 1, bf9d63cc, 1}
Probably caused by : awvid5.dll ( awvid5+13cc )
Image name: awvid5.dll Timestamp: Wed Oct 24 04:03:19 2001 (3BD5BEF7) <-- 7 years old.

This type of error indicates a memory error in RAM, either system memory or the video card. Since it happens when you are running video, let's assume it's the video card. Is it still under warranty? Try swapping the video card or disabling it and see what happens.

-- Andy

Since it is occurring on my laptop, I don't believe I can swap the video card. I'll have to look at HP's website to see if it is possible. It is a DV6000T CTO or DV6100T CTO notebook.

From what I can find out awvid5.dll belongs to PCAnyWhere. Do you have this installed? Also, have you uninstalled Norton AV recently?

BugCheck 10000050, {e21f7000, 1, bf9d63cc, 1}
Probably caused by : awvid5.dll ( awvid5+13cc )
Image name: awvid5.dll Timestamp: Wed Oct 24 04:03:19 2001 (3BD5BEF7) <-- 7 years old.

I do have pcAnywhere 10.5 currently installed on my laptop and Norton AV was preinstalled by HP 2 years ago but I removed it after the 3 month trial and have been using McAfee VirusScan Enterprise since then.

I can remove pcAnywhere now since I hardly use it. So, that would be the first thing I should try to see if the BSOD will stop?

If the video card is embedded on the laptop MoBo, you might be forced to replace the MoBo (or the laptop altogether since the cost will be high) Is the laptop still under warranty? I'm fairly certain this is a RAM problem from the error message (it's from my experience) and since it only happens when you play video, it's the video RAM. Could be costly to fix.

To be sure, follow through on the other suggestions above. But I'm almost possitive it's the video RAM.

-- Andy

Yes, uninstall PCAnyWhere. Also run the following tool to remove the bits of Norton that were left behind. Post some new minidumps if it continues to crash.

Ok, thanks! I see from the list of the link pcAnywhere is listed but I'm not sure which version on Norton Antivirus product was shipped with the laptop. Is it safe to run more than one that HP had shipped the laptop with Norton AV around December 2006?

*Edit:

Found out it shipped with Norton Internet Security 2006.

If the video card is embedded on the laptop MoBo, you might be forced to replace the MoBo (or the laptop altogether since the cost will be high) Is the laptop still under warranty? I'm fairly certain this is a RAM problem from the error message (it's from my experience) and since it only happens when you play video, it's the video RAM. Could be costly to fix.

To be sure, follow through on the other suggestions above. But I'm almost possitive it's the video RAM.

-- Andy

I believe I might be still under the extended warranty but even so, I hope it's not that problem. I will try removing pcAnywhere and the removal tool first.

Yes, uninstall PCAnyWhere. Also run the following tool to remove the bits of Norton that were left behind. Post some new minidumps if it continues to crash.

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

peterdiva:

I uninstalled pcAnywhere and rebooted, uninstalled LiveReg and rebooted, uninstalled LiveUpdate and rebooted, ran the Norton Removal Tool and rebooted. The removal tool did not list pcAnywhere in the list of programs that it would remove even though I downloaded it from the "I have pcAnwhere or WinFax link."

Well, after I ran and rebooted I tried going to ESPN360.com and loaded the player without getting the BSOD. I have not tried any games yet as I don't have them with me at the moment.

So, I will post if I experience the BSOD again. If I do, should I continue posting in this thread or start a new thread? My instinct is to continue in this thread but I'm not sure what's the protocol.

Many, many thanks for your help and input!

almcneil:

Can you recommend a free program that can test the video RAM in my laptop or can Memtest check it? Thanks for you help also.

Did we try re-installing the device driver for the video?

-- Andy
No, I have not done it recently. I am trying to recall when I did do that, but I know I have done it. I had gone to HP's website to check for updated drivers and none were available. Those that were shipped with the laptop and those available on the website are the same release.

All updated HP Drivers can be found H E R E

Alright folks, I'm good to go. I've checked for updated device drivers for my video card and they are the same version that currently running on my laptop. So, I have uninstalled pcAnywhere, ran the Norton Removal Tool and I uninstalled my video card device driver and reinstalled it.

I have checked ESPN360.com and ran my games without having any BSOD that I have experienced when trying to view the video stream and playing games.

I thank you all for your support and I will recommend this website to those who are in a bind and need a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back