Bluescreen Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwyllie

I've been experiencing intermittent blue screens and reboots. The screen never stays up long enough to get any information off of it. I have not minidump files.

I'm running XP Sp3 with all updates on a generic box. Spyware Doctorand Avast run on a regular basis.

The only thing that I changed recently is adding a huge cooling fan/heat sink to my graphics card and have monitored the temp there and it runs pretty cool (40-55C range).

Is there any way I can find out what the blue screen message is so I can track this down? Or stop the reboot long enough to get the screen information?

Thanks.

For clarification, are you saying that you can't find the minidump files or are you saying Windows has failed to create the files?

Also, 40 ro 55 celciius is 104 - 131 ferenheit. What is the temperature safe range for your video card?

I believe from what I can find out that 40-55 is very good, and it feels much cooler than the old fan.

I don't believe a minidump was created, I did a search and I know it's supposed to be in the Windows directory.

Are these the steps you took to find your minidumps?

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files

Okay, attach 5 of your most recent minidump files. You can Zip file five together and attach.

Sorry, I'm not being clear. I have NO minidump files. I've searched for them with search in Windows folder but can find none.

Hmm, I know in XP there is a Minidump Folder in the larger Windows folder, but anyway, did you have any BSODs prior to changing your cooling fan for your video card?

I had some with the previous video card due to the fan not working on it. I got a replacement card and it began to sound like the fan was going out on it too so I bought this heat sink/cooling fan. The new card did not bluescreen at any time prior to installing the new fan. I thought I was only getting it when playing a heavy graphics game (Eve in this case) but it's happened when just the desktop was up and Eve not running.

I know the minidump directory has been there in the past but it is not there now. There is on this laptop, for example, but not on the machine in question.

What kind of video card do you have, make and model #, plus what fan and heatsink did you add? If you weren't getting issues before this switch my suspicion is that heatsink/fan. It may be drawing power it shouldn't.

NIVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
Ultra VGA Heatpipe Cooler

I was looking at the board and I noticed that there is a fan on the motherboard just below the end of the graphics card that seemed to be being interfered with. I could move the board a bit and the fan would pick up speed. I took the graphics card out and inspected the heat sink and there is a protrusion that is interfering. I tried the board in another PCI/E slot but the adjacent slots would not let the board seat properly. I've now put a cardboard spacer on the MB fan (careful not to cover the fan itself) and probably should see if this fixes the problem (that fan is pretty noisy now so I wonder if some permanent damage was done). I tried to take a picture and it came out good but is way over the limit for upload here. I'm not into picture editing so I don't know how to reduce it, or if the quality would be good enough if I did.

Thanks for the help, if you don't think this might fix the problem please post any suggestions you might have. Otherwise I will just monitor this and if it happens again re-post.

Heat issues will shut down a system real fast because the system is trying to protect itself. I say this is where my problem lies and the issue needs to be resolved. That fan needs to be spinning properly and the heatsink set properly.

Yeah, don't I know. I have one machine that the CPU cooling fan that came with it is inadequate and I have the case open and a small room fan on it!

I defiantly need to replace that fan. Any suggestions as to a source? I've not had luck finding vendors for fans.

I would go to the General Hardware forum and make the Subject Line something like: Need Help Choosing Right HeatSink/Fan for Video Card or such.

Tell them of your issue, what has been happening, and the need for good advice/guidance on choosing the correct equipment. make sure you give the system specs and type of video cards.

Well, over 24 hours, much of which has heavy graphics use and no failures. I guess even with a crippled motherboard fan whatever it's cooling is adequate. Will probably still look into a replacement. Thanks again for the help.

I put a cardboard spacer where the heat sink for the video card was pressing on the fan on the motherboard thereby allowing the fan to move freely.

If you know how to cut a picture down from a couple of meg to 200k I can upload a pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back