BMW's remote valet parking lets you control cars like its a video game, kind of

Daniel Sims

Staff
Through the looking glass: Fully autonomous driving and EVs are currently the center of the conversation on automotive technology, but BMW is testing a broad range of innovations. One involves a middle ground between self-driving cars and traditional driving that could increase logistical flexibility for customers.

German automaker BMW allowed CES 2024 attendees to demo a system for remotely driving vehicles. The company positions the technology as a tele-operated valet parking system, but other uses could emerge.

Customers would first park their cars in a pre-defined area. Pressing a button in a mobile app then signals a remote valet to take control. The owner can use the app again to tell the valet to retrieve the car when ready to leave.

The remote operator sits in a driving rig with a steering wheel surrounded by monitors resembling a high-end PC gaming setup. The CES demo controlled the vehicles from nearby, but BMW claims the system could work at greater distances. Long-distance operations could increase the number of available valets at any given time.

One advantage of the concept is that it's entirely based on existing technology. The remote rig connects to an array of cameras on the vehicle and only requires a solid wireless signal. The sensors, precise road infrastructure, and other materials associated with fully autonomous cars are unnecessary.

However, some steps in the remote valet process involve self-driving functionality. For example, the system can automatically park a car after the driver approaches a parking space. Furthermore, it automatically controls the vehicle's top speed based on its surroundings, dropping to around two miles per hour if an object suddenly approaches.

While BMW hasn't finalized the commercialization of its remote parking service, the technology could apply to situations aside from valet. When vehicles require transport in places where self-driving systems can't operate, remote driving might prove easier than getting a human driver on-site.

If remote driving and valet parking catch on, they could create a new work-from-home job where an employee or contractor sits in a driving sim rig all day, taking transportation requests from around the globe. Imagine Uber driving becoming a remote job.

Sony also demonstrated some remote driving magic at CES by piloting an EV it has been collaborating on using a PlayStation 5 controller. The production model won't include the functionality, but the prospect of manipulating vehicles with alternate control methods raises intriguing possibilities.

Permalink to story.

This whole self-driving vehicle obsession is a joke. Seems like it's being driven (no pun intended) by a bunch of rich guys who watched The Jetsons in their youth and want to make flying cars and full meals in a pill a reality before they die.

I will never be a passenger in an autonomous vehicle. Period. While in a rideshare, I can immediately tell if my driver is impaired or otherwise "off", and end the ride on the spot. But I can't foresee the nanosecond before a software glitch sends me over a cliff. PASS

I feel like the human race is in a rush to get fancy and cute with technology, while ignoring the basics like poverty, homelessness, human rights and climate change.

Let's figure out how to conquer the basics before pursuing extravagant, meaningless luxuries.

I will never be a passenger in an autonomous vehicle.
So do you always take the stairs because an elevator has no operator? Humans have already been replaced in myriads of jobs and it’s just a matter time when driving is one of those jobs. By no means am I saying that it’s ready today or even in my lifetime, I believe there will be a time when all vehicles will be automated and driving yourself on at least some public roads will be forbidden.

Hang on, getting some lag here. Latency monitor spiking over a thousand ms now. Ugh, so much stutter. Sorry guys I am lagging out can't really see what's going on. My movement seems to have something like a 5 second delay now. Wait, I'm gonna try restart my wifi router.

..ok I managed to log back on. Sorry about that guys. What happened?

Oh I got 2 kills.

"The remote operator sits in a driving rig with a steering wheel surrounded by monitors resembling a high-end PC gaming setup"

Forgot the part about being surrounded by a empty bottles of beer? Those remote drivers are at home after all and they might think it's OK to drink and remote drive!

They could also multi task, like driving and using the same rig for gaming.....;)

Hang on, getting some lag here. Latency monitor spiking over a thousand ms now. Ugh, so much stutter. Sorry guys I am lagging out can't really see what's going on. My movement seems to have something like a 5 second delay now. Wait, I'm gonna try restart my wifi router.

..ok I managed to log back on. Sorry about that guys. What happened?

Oh I got 2 kills.
Was going to make some technical, engineering complaint about how this approach is not practical based on my long history with robots and telerobotics.

However, your version is so much better - and funny. Cheers.

So do you always take the stairs because an elevator has no operator? Humans have already been replaced in myriads of jobs and it’s just a matter time when driving is one of those jobs. By no means am I saying that it’s ready today or even in my lifetime, I believe there will be a time when all vehicles will be automated and driving yourself on at least some public roads will be forbidden.
keep believing that stupid fairy tail.

Self-driving vehicles will never be allowed without supervision, at least in countries where responsible people LEAD.
that example of yours is stupid also. if your elevator gets broken, the worst it can happen it will get stuck, a car ? a couple of road kills.

Elevators have been in use for well over 100 years, so their overall safety has been proven. If you want to be an early adopter, go for it. I'm making the personal choice not to.

Nothing wrong with that, right? Survival instincts are a good thing.

Last edited:
Was going to make some technical, engineering complaint about how this approach is not practical based on my long history with robots
Same, but I’m certain that the “unstable connection” failsafe would be to apply the brakes, not full throttle straight ahead. Otherwise we would hear more about remote controlled surgery robots punching straight through their patients.

Let's remember how successful that submarine was that was controlled with a gaming controller......

the part about being surrounded by an empty bottles of beer? Those remote drivers are at home after all and they might think it's OK to drink and remote drive
Easily solved by adding a breathalyzer lock out to the computer 😂

Clearly I’m not the only one who believes in fairy tales: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_elevator_accidents

ADAS already exists to keep humans out of trouble. I’m pretty certain that nearly all road accidents are caused by human error. Human drivers are the liability on the road not computers.
Your argument is spurious at best. I didn't say that there have never fatalities riding an elevator.

But the very list you cited shows that in its entirety - starting from 1892(!) - there have been less than 500 total deaths... and the two biggest death tolls (104, 62) were caused by a freak locomotive crash and a methane explosion, respectively. Hardly a fault with the elevator tech itself. 😆

As I stated before, feel free to be an early adopter. While you're being the brave adventurer, you should pull up a list of aviation deaths over history for comparison's sake!

Back