BOE's latest display for cars is 45-inches in 8K, takes over the entire front console

emorphy

Staff
Forward-looking: Among the 50 consumer electronics products that BOE showcased at CES 2024 was a 45-inch 8K screen that stretches over a car's dashboard combining the driver panel, central control, and passenger panel into a single display.

Smart cockpit technology keeps on advancing, and its integration into popular EVs will continue to drive the space. In this context, BOE aims for its new screen to show how easily an automobile can transform into an "experiential third space' – cool tech for sure, but it's in the day-to-day usability where users will ultimately pass judgment.

Days before, the screen debuted in the Geely Galaxy E8, a fully electric mid-size sedan that starts at around $25,000. BOE said the borderless smart cockpit screen had a near-retina level display with 8K resolution. Each section of the Geely Galaxy E8's unified screen operates independently with touch integrated into the display.

BOE says that the design reduces the number of components from ten to seven, saving 1 kilogram in weight, and achieving a 9.8mm thickness profile with a 7.5mm slim bezel.

This is the latest example of the advancements in smart cockpit technology, with the central console evolving from a mechanical interface to touch panels that facilitate interaction between the driver and the vehicle. It's been noted, though, that this screen, as slick as it is, may soon become outmoded, replaced in consumers' affections with forthcoming products from BOE, not to mention other cockpit suppliers' offerings.

The OEM also unveiled a 45-inch 9K Oxide Mini LED in-vehicle one-piece screen at CES that has an increased resolution paired to a 90Hz refresh rate, million-level contrast ratio and 1500-nit brightness. And the 9K curved screen uses 20 to 30% less power than its predecessor to boot.

But the screen in the Geely Galaxy E8 will likely get legs from the car's debut, at least in China where the vehicle will be sold. The pure electric sedan is meant to take on BYD, the world's largest EV maker that is backed by Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway and has been churning out bestselling models and intensifying competition.

Geely will begin delivering the Class B sedan next month, with the goal of targeting budget-sensitive mainland motorists, according to the company's CEO Gan Jiayue, who called it an ideal model to replace both existing petrol and electric cars.

Permalink to story.

It`s cool and all, but look at that windshield. All that empty space. I know, let`s place another touchscreen and some holographic AI stuff to tell me my name and what I have to do for today.

Props for interior design.
But looking at the screen all I can think of is glare. It looks highly reflective.
Why not use the filter every new good TV uses?

If I drive it, I would also get distracted by passenger's stuff.
Again, I hate to criticize attempts to create new tech. But I just have too many questions
regarding this thing.

As an exercise of exploration, I can get behind this. As something I'd want to drive (beyond having fun with it for a day or two), I'd have to say no *unless* the car was primarily self-driving and that steering wheel was just there as a backup. Obviously, self-driving isn't that advanced yet. But when it gets there, this might be quite nice.

What on god's green earth makes a 45 inch 8k panel "aimed at budget-sensitive mainland motorists"? This is a much more expensive option then basic buttons and gauges. Look at every budget car out there, or even midrange stuff. No giant screens there.

I am so tired of big tech trying to gaslight us into wanting these screens shoved into our faces at every possible opportunity. Just stop!.

What on god's green earth makes a 45 inch 8k panel "aimed at budget-sensitive mainland motorists"? This is a much more expensive option then basic buttons and gauges. Look at every budget car out there, or even midrange stuff. No giant screens there.

I am so tired of big tech trying to gaslight us into wanting these screens shoved into our faces at every possible opportunity. Just stop!.
Uhh, no one's gaslighting you. The article literally says this sedan starts at around $25,000. Cheaper than anything Tesla can put out and most likely more reliable. So why cry about the size of the screen? I'm so tried of people constantly whining about things they don't like. Yes, progress is hard, deal with it. If you don't like something, like giant screens, guess what? You can vote with your wallet and not buy it. Sorry to tell you but we're never going back to knobs, dials, oil lamps, and horse drawn carriages.

I like technology, but when it's applied sanely. The removal of all physical knobs and buttons is just stupid!

Have you read past the headline? Buttons are still there on the steering wheel and even in the center console (which I personally don't like).

Just stop. Tesla puts a giant screen in a car and suddenly every car manufacturer is trying to give us touchscreen enemas

Giant? LOL It's perfect for what it's intended to show. Navigation and cameras. If it was any smaller, I wouldn't be able to easily see the route and traffic. Do you want postage stamp side view cameras when you're changing lanes? Or should one take their eyes off the road and look back to check if there is a car in their blindspot?

Some of you realy crack me up here. First, the no button thing, where there are clearly buttons. Second, giant screen to take your eyes off the road. Yeah, it's safer to completely turn your head instead of move your eyes slightly. I'm starting to thing y'all don't own a car.

Props for interior design.
But looking at the screen all I can think of is glare. It looks highly reflective.
Why not use the filter every new good TV uses?

If I drive it, I would also get distracted by passenger's stuff.
Again, I hate to criticize attempts to create new tech. But I just have too many questions
regarding this thing.

On Tesla, only the navi can be shown once you start driving. No Netflix, etc.

As an exercise of exploration, I can get behind this. As something I'd want to drive (beyond having fun with it for a day or two), I'd have to say no *unless* the car was primarily self-driving and that steering wheel was just there as a backup. Obviously, self-driving isn't that advanced yet. But when it gets there, this might be quite nice.

It's there for highway driving. Turns by itself, changes lanes, keeps pre-set distance, brakes, and accelerates. Takes the stress out of a traffic jam. I don't have a spare $12k right now for full self driving for the streets. Another issue is that the self driving follows the vehicle not the owner. I could justify a one time life purchase but not for every car. Tesla had a promotion to transfer it to a new car when they wanted to move more cars so they can if they want to.

Uhh, no one's gaslighting you. The article literally says this sedan starts at around $25,000. Cheaper than anything Tesla can put out and most likely more reliable. So why cry about the size of the screen? I'm so tried of people constantly whining about things they don't like. Yes, progress is hard, deal with it. If you don't like something, like giant screens, guess what? You can vote with your wallet and not buy it. Sorry to tell you but we're never going back to knobs, dials, oil lamps, and horse drawn carriages.
This argument totally falls apart because when one company does something and sees success, EVERYBODY does it, leaving nothing for those who dont WANT this new "innovation". See also: removing headphone jacks and removable batteries from phones, getting rid of wagons, 2 door coupes, and hot hatchbacks, Microsoft forcing people into online only accounts, Everything becoming a "subscription service", I could go on.

So, as a consumer, it is my right to vocally complain about a market that doesnt meet my needs, and I will continue to do so, despite angry redditors wanting me to be quiet and just accept all "progress". Pro tip: both honda and toyota backtracked on huge touchscreens because, surprise surprise, they dont work great when driving. Shocking I know. Touchscreens have not made knobs and dials obsolete, and never will, because they serve different functions and only one can be operated without looking at it.

And honestly, if you believe that the vehicle shown int he article will be $25k, you may want to contact Reddit Cares, because I'm pretty sure you're having a mental breakdown. There is no feasible way such a vehicle will cost so little. No EV maker has come close to making something like that for such a low price. But you would never question a corporation when they present you marketing material, right?

Been in China for 17 years, Chinese love this kind of crap, and now thanks to Elon letting some patents go and theft of IP of other manufactures, there's a whole TON of new companies now making EV's, hell, SKYWORTH, which is known to make crappy TV's is making cars now, alot of other companies with no experience in the automotive industy are moving in, all using the same platform, underneath, the drive train is all the same.

It's the same with the engines here, every local manufacturer uses the 1.5lt turbo with the same transmission.

So auto makers here look for other bait and hook tactics to hook buyers because of the absolute flood of new brands, Chinese arn't the best at driving and one advantage all this as is to take some of the thinking away from them, such as lane distance, collision aviodance, pedestian detection (yes, alot of expats are happy about this one), parking assist (a big one, if you've ever been to China and seen someone try to park their car for 5 minutes blocking everyone else, you know the pain of watching such a show).

I personally would never buy such a complex car, in the south of China, the heat would absolutly destory the screen when parked outside in the summer heat all day, things would start to fall apart after 2 years and the cost of parts would be astronomical.

Pass. "but the buttons are on the steering wheel. Yeah NO!
I would still have to look down to figure out which of the 12-20 buttons I want to push.
With radio, heater/AC etc, all I have to do is feel for the feature easily and no hassle.

Pass. "but the buttons are on the steering wheel. Yeah NO!
I would still have to look down to figure out which of the 12-20 buttons I want to push.
With radio, heater/AC etc, all I have to do is feel for the feature easily and no hassle.
My friend has one of those steering wheels and when I drive it I honestly only use 2 buttons on it, volume up and volume down. They're nice to have when they're optional and you can choose what functions you want to use

People love their screens. And America and super-sized go hand in hand so bigger screens are def comin! We even got screens on computer cases and fans now. We give them to little kids to shut them up. They aren't going anywhere for anyone that thinks they are.

The article did say the screen debut in a $25K car. Of course that's only possible over there. In the west that would only come in the $100K+ model, but that's not shocking or surprising.

Back