Boot device doesnt boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

red1776

hi gang,
I installed Vista on a new sata II HDD. I then removed the old drive and tried to boot. and it will not boot from the new HDD. its now the C drive and listed and marked as the boot drive in windows. i did make it the 1st boot device in the bios. i put the old HDD back in with it and it will boot but from that drive only. any ideas?

How did you install the OS on the new drive? Did you use the new drives install utility program to set up the new boot drive?

I lost track!

Hey T,
thanks for the reply. Ya know i thought I did, but i kept getting an unidentified error code and spent two hours on the phone with microsft. it was a new unformatted disc and i let vista set up the drive and im reallt having hard time remembering if i made it bootable. im at work right now, but assume that it has not been set to a boot (windows lists it as such) any suggestions for now making it a bootable now?

You really need to use the hard drives install utility set up the drive. It will automatically format and make the drive bootable. Vista's install can do this too... It is an option. I always partition and format a new drive first

thats what i did, vista formatted the disc as a new disc, thats why i cant figure out why it wont boot from it, yet it uses vista from it and is the C drive in the bios and in windows. windows admin has it as the boot disc as well....im flummoxed

would clearing the cmos accomplish anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back